FEOA Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend has a 92 ELX 1.9L. Its a pretty nice car, zippy, lol, but anyways, I want to put a spoiler on it. It has no spoiler as is. Do I have to cut holes in the trunk and use a GT bolt on spoiler, or can I use an LX one? Whats more, when I'm at jys, I can't even begin to see how the bloody lx ones are removed. Looks like plastic tabs, but I can't find the tabby parts to remove them! Pictures would be great.

P.S. Dont forget your zippy little cousins, the Festiva, visit us at fordfestiva.com, mine is at bntbtc.com/fesitva

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I remember my 95 LX with the trunk lid spoiler. the ends were held in with plastic tabs, but they would never stay put. And I had two 12" subs in the trunk. that thing rattled worse than any other part of the car.

·
BYO Plastic cutlery
9,869 Posts
You have 2 choices for factory wings: 91-92 GT 3 piece(little sections mounted to the body) and the other one, which was used by both the GT and the LX in 93 onward. I forget if the LX had it prior to that.
The one piece needs 4 square holes in the decklid for the outer stanchions, in which there are plastic inserts that accept the pins of the wing. They just snap in. Plus you do whatever is needed in the middle, where the brake light is. I forget what's there but you remove the light and inside there you see how it's mounted to the decklid, like a screw or two in inserts.

Obviously you need to modify the method if you don't intend to drill square holes. Maybe shaving the pins and drilling holes in the decklid and screwing up from the underside into the stanchions? I don't remember what the bottom of the stancions look like or how well the wing material would grab screws. Maybe the centre mounting is enough and you can use very good moulding tape for the stanchions(again shaving the pins).

I don't know how the 3 piece is mounted to the decklid but the outer pieces are bolted to the body. People seem to have an easier time finding it in the boneyard than the one piece. Highanddry bought the whole liftgate and the 2 end pieces. he needed a liftgate but you might consider a route like that.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
MadBrad said:
............ if you don't intend to drill square holes.
How do you drill a square hole? Factory punches them out. Didn't know you could drill a square hole.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol...yea...square holes, don't know about that. But I guess maybe I am stuck with the whole trunk lid. Oooh, hope thats not too expensive, maybe I can trade the old trunk lid or something. Thanks

·
Registered
90 Posts

·
BYO Plastic cutlery
9,869 Posts
In high school woodshop there was a thing to drill square hole in wood. it had a bit drilling but it was inside a square tube made of sheetmetal that was sharp at the tip and whos sides measured barely more than the bit's diameter, and a big slot on one side for the shavings to come out, So the drill would drill and the square think basically cut the corners out just by being pushed through the wood.

·
BYO Plastic cutlery
9,869 Posts
festivaphil said:
Lol...yea...square holes, don't know about that. But I guess maybe I am stuck with the whole trunk lid. Oooh, hope thats not too expensive, maybe I can trade the old trunk lid or something. Thanks
nah forget that you just need to sticky it on there or drill small holes and drive screws from below. There's a hole in the webbing IIRC in the vicinity making it possible.

·
Registered
90 Posts
MadBrad said:
In high school woodshop there was a thing to drill square hole in wood. it had a bit drilling but it was inside a square tube made of sheetmetal that was sharp at the tip and whos sides measured barely more than the bit's diameter, and a big slot on one side for the shavings to come out, So the drill would drill and the square think basically cut the corners out just by being pushed through the wood.
mortising machine...

·
BYO Plastic cutlery
9,869 Posts
yeah I forgot it was over 20 years ago, it's not really to make a square hole per se, but to make a bunch of such cuts to make a mortise, which is a slot that accepts a tenon. I forgot that but it all came flooding back just now.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I can remeber back in the day......'buot 2-3 years ago when I put on my RS2000 wing on my lil 2nd gen.........after all these years it's STILL on I jsut made a template drilled some holes and then there you go

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.