FEOA Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO I got my Scort back together completely, and have been road testing it for a couple of days. Only one SLIGHT problem. It is a 91 LX with an auto, and it WILL NOT shift into the highest gear. I am doing like 65-70 on the freeway, and it will not upshift. What gives?

I am STILL borrowing mom's truck till I can fix this, since I have a one hour freeway commute to work, so any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
You might check the kickdown cable to make sure it's not too tight and keeping you in a lower gear then needed. Also make sure all the electical connectors are pluged in securely on the tranny.

·
Registered
160 Posts
When the *first" tranny in my '93 GT started crapping out (on my third at 157k miles.... @#%?!!) it would skip 2nd, go straight to 3rd, and refuse to go into 4th. But if you drove the car long enough to warm it up, put it in neutral, cut the ignition off, restarted the engine, and put it back in gear, it would shift fine. It did this for a year and a half before it threw a code and the CE light came on... "1-3 solenoid bad" or something like that, don't remember exactly. So we had that one rebuilt and the solenoids were presumably replaced, and that lasted a whole 18k miles before it *completely* crapped out at 80mph on the freeway in rush-hour traffic in Atlanta on the way to spring break. That time was because my mechanic's dumbass tranny subcontractor used household silicone to seal the pan, and evidently little blobs of silicone broke free and blocked the valves. Current tranny is from (I think) a '93 Tracer and is strong as an ox. I agree your problem is far more likely to be either a kickdown cable problem or a disconnected harness-- in the case of the latter, one of the solenoids probably just isn't getting the signal. But if all else fails, check the codes and check to see if it is temperature dependent and goes away if you stop and restart the engine after warm-up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts