FEOA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't really know where to post this, so this seemed as good a place as any. I've had both of these problems since I bought the car, but it hasn't really bothered me until now, don't ask why because I don't know :/

First off, my accelerator pedal does some weird sticky thing. It's really hard to explain. When I first push on it, it feels like it's just a tough pedal, but about what seems like 1" or so through it, it seems like it just breaks free of whatever it was that was holding it and what results is an unpleasant, and unavoidable lurch of acceleration of the car.

Second, my rear defroster doesn't work. I have no idea why, the green light comes on, but when I push the button it doesn't do anything (I'm guessing the color is supposed to change). Sometimes just touching the button will make the light turn off. I took off the panel there and tried messing with the wires just at the switch, but nothing seemed to happen.

Oh, this is a 91' EGT.

Thanks.

ps. Dustin, if you want to meet up this weekend, I think I'm free. This is Mike

·
Registered
911 Posts
well, this may sound stupid, but hey, it might have slipped your mind like it did mine. check and make sure ur floor mat is not too far forward. i know w/ my gt, that lil bugger likes to move up every time i get in the car. I remember i spent 2 hours one day because i couldnt figure out why my accelerator was gettin stuck on the floor. about 6 months later, my clutch was stickin to the floor and that seemed to be the culprit too. Stupid small details....

Note, in no way am i callin you an idiot or anything, i just figured that if my gt had gay floor mats, then someone elses would too.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
First off, my accelerator pedal does some weird sticky thing. It's really hard to explain. When I first push on it, it feels like it's just a tough pedal, but about what seems like 1" or so through it, it seems like it just breaks free of whatever it was that was holding it and what results is an unpleasant, and unavoidable lurch of acceleration of the car.
I just helped my step-brother sort out a problem with this same symptom on his new Ranger pickup. He is still learning how to drive it (he's 15, and it's a manual), so the sticky pedal was a pretty serious issue.

We found that the throttle plate was closing too far, causing it to bind up against the throttle body housing. It took about a half a turn of the stop screw to keep it from sticking. Get under your hood and turn your throttle by hand (w/ the engine off) to see if it's sticking or if it's the cable. If the throttle plate itself is sticking you should be able to find the stop screw fairly easily. If it's the cable, try to grease it up, and see if that helps.. but go ahead and order a new cable when you get a chance... you don't want it to start sticking in the down position. 8O

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Do you have cruise control? Ford hires a bunch of retarded monkeys for engineers, so when they designed the cruise control, the linkage mechanism to control the pedal has a bunch of joints and too much friction. Over time, the joints wear and get locked up and stuff and you get that "hard at first, easy once it's in" feel.

Actually, it has to do with the properties of friction. Static (stationary) friction is always more than kenetic friction (moving friction). In other words, it's hard to get it started, so you compensate by giving excessive force. When the friction breaks (at what is called the breaking point) then the extra force is not being resisted by the pedal anymore, and you get that pain in the ass pedal jump, which makes the car jump around. Every honda I have driven has never had this problem and always has a very pleasant linear pedal feel with minimal resistance but good feedback. I am very pleased with the honda engineering efforts and I personally don't see why all the scort owners are always taking a **** on the hondas. If anything, we are the ones with the crappy cars... but that's another issue I won't get into.

The defroster switch. They just suck. The switches were probably made in a sweat shop in ethiopia or something. I have had 3 switches. The stock one in my car, which worked if you held it down, and two different junkyard switches that I pulled that didn't work. I've never seen one that actually worked properly, but I think that they are supposed to glow green at rest (when the lights are on and the instrument lights are on too) and then glow amber when turned on, regardless of whether or not the instrument lights are on.

You can try pulling the switch apart and seeing if you can fix it, but the switch itself was flawed, and ford recognized this and changed it in the 93-96 models.

If your switch is good, then check the fuses and the little rubber hose that leads from the body of the car to the hatch itself. This was more retard engineering. The stress put on those poor wires from opening the hatch so many times often cracks the insulation, splits wires, and shorts circuits. This happened on my 95LX wagon. 9 of the 12 wires were frayed, a whole bunch of fuses blew... it was a freakin mess. Ford just has the worst designed stuff ever. but that's another issue too..

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
*agrees w/ siragan*

except for the bit about, "Ford just has the worst designed stuff ever."... there's always something worse. *cGoeungehrcaolugMhoctoourgsh*

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, the floor mat in my gt is built right into the carpet, so it can't really slip :)

I've been under the hood and tried turning the throttle by hand, it seemed normal, but I could be wrong, I'll check again today.

I'll also check out the wiring for the defroster.

Thanks for your help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.