FEOA Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I just replaced a compressor on my '88 GL about a month ago with a compressor from a JY doing it myself and recharging it myself with R-134A cost less than $100. That would be my recommendation if you're looking to save some money. You can take it to a garage and have them evacuate the system of any refrigerant in the system then you can open the system, change the compressor, and recharge it yourself as long as you don't leave the system open for a long period of time and let moisture in the system. You can buy compressor oil at Walmart for about $5. a can and one can is enough for the system. If you do yourself you should also replace any O rings before recharging. If your system is not already R-134A you can buy the complete conversion kit (fittings, freon/with oil, charging hose) at Walmart for about $35. and the freon already has the oil mixed with it so you wouldn't need to buy a can of oil. Be sure you find out the capacity of your system before recharging, because if you overcharge it might ruin the compressor.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.