FEOA Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having AC problems. After 15-20 min of driving with the AC on it would start blowing warm most air instead of nice cold air. Also noticed this particularly at stop lights. Pressure was a little low, so I added R134. Fine for a while then again so I took it in to my mechanic who found the valves in the ports were leaking. He replaced them and refilled the system.

Now it kicks out amazing cold air, until I drive it a little (time seems to depend on outside temp/humidity). The problem is when I start to slow down to stop at a light, when I clutch to downshift the RPMs drop and the engine dies. It starts right up again, but the AC kicks out that moist air again. Once I start driving (RPMs up from idle) the cold air usually comes back and no problems till the next slow/stop.

We (mechanic and I) are stumped. Condenser is clean (fins not clogged) and the drain is not clogged. It was suggested that the AC high pressure cutoff switch is bad. Only place to get that is from a Ford dealer parts dept. and it costs $105. Before I shell out the money I'd like to know more confidently that it will fix it.

Anyone ever deal with this before? I haven't found it on a forum yet.

*UPDATE* Haven't found anything yet. Turned out the AC after driving w/o it for a while. Kicked out cold air immediately. Was running a minute or so when I clutched to downshift. As soon as I pushed the clutch in, I watched the RPMs fall and the engine died. This was at ~35mph as I was about to downshift. No noises or anything, just died as soon as I clutched.

· Registered
5,164 Posts
Does the rad fan kick on when the A/C is commanded? At speed, the air flow through the condenser is sufficient to remove latent heat, but at stops, the fan is needed to move the heat out.
Could the pressures be too high or a bad compressor that chokes down the engine at idle? IDK, I suppose it could. It doesn't stall without the A/C on, so it must be related to that.

· Registered
34 Posts
Sounds like your compressor may be locking up. You need to have the charge level checked and pressures monitored while it idles. The moist air is from the condensation on the evaporator - that's to be expected; severity depends on humidity level. This, of course, assumes your cooling fan is ok.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.