FEOA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have an odd problem. My AC/Heat control (the sliding control) stays stuck in the middle. If I move it either way (to the left to cool or to the right to heat) it feels like there is a spring pulling it back to the middle. Sometimes, if I slide it often enough, it will stay. But any attempt to alter the temperature will result in the same issue coming back.

The car is a '95 LX. It is 5-speed and has about 149K miles on it.
The blower works fine.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Rod
 

· Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
EscorGo said:
Sounds like a sticking door and the cable is springing back. You need to follow the control lever to the problem.
Ok, thanks...
Is there a write up somewhere to show me how to take the panel off?

Sorry, I am not very mechanically inclined and am learning as I go.

Rod
 

· Registered
Joined
·
7,808 Posts
I had that happen while my foot was resting up against the floor vents. (simply moved my foot) Look at the driver-right foot and passenger-left foot intake/exhaust vents and make sure nothing is binding them. Try to move the slider while watching those vents for any motion. There's also a metal rod that theoretically, could be kicked loose or bent.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Intuit said:
I had that happen while my foot was resting up against the floor vents. (simply moved my foot) Look at the driver-right foot and passenger-left foot intake/exhaust vents and make sure nothing is binding them. Try to move the slider while watching those vents for any motion. There's also a metal rod that theoretically, could be kicked loose or bent.
The vents are not blocked in any way. I believe there is something stuck, a panel or something that opens and closes to allow either heat or cold air from the AC to pass into the cabin.

Is there a diagram or photo's that can show me how to test this?
Thanks,
Rod
 

· Registered
Joined
·
551 Posts
Just look!

Look under the dash on the drivers side just inboard from the gas pedal.
Operate the control lever while looking there.
You should see cable operating a lever.
This is the door that switches between hot and cold.

The cable is held by a snap clip around the casing and the wire slips over a peg on the doors operating lever.
You can, with no tools, disconnect this wire and determine if the problem is in the controls, wire or in the heater box. Just move these items to see if they are binding or any other problems.

Check this and tell us your results.

Bruce
 

· Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Just look!

Egnorant said:
Look under the dash on the drivers side just inboard from the gas pedal.
Operate the control lever while looking there.
You should see cable operating a lever.
This is the door that switches between hot and cold.

The cable is held by a snap clip around the casing and the wire slips over a peg on the doors operating lever.
You can, with no tools, disconnect this wire and determine if the problem is in the controls, wire or in the heater box. Just move these items to see if they are binding or any other problems.

Check this and tell us your results.

Bruce
OK, Thanks!
I will check that this evening on my way home.

Rod
 

· Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Just look!

Egnorant said:
Look under the dash on the drivers side just inboard from the gas pedal.
Operate the control lever while looking there.
You should see cable operating a lever.
This is the door that switches between hot and cold.

The cable is held by a snap clip around the casing and the wire slips over a peg on the doors operating lever.
You can, with no tools, disconnect this wire and determine if the problem is in the controls, wire or in the heater box. Just move these items to see if they are binding or any other problems.

Check this and tell us your results.

Bruce
OK, I checked this out last night.
The cable, wire and clip all seem fine. Apparently what has happened is just friction. The lever/door slides up and down to allow heat or cold, depending on the placement of the slide. It seems to stick, preventing the slide from working.

It seems that all I need to do is to put some grease or some sort of lube to free it up. Right now there is some white paste there, maybe old lube that has dried up?

What should I use? It seems to be plastic on plastic, so I was just going to use some common black grease...thoughts?

Rod
 

· Registered
Joined
·
7,808 Posts
I'd think there has to be some reason other than lubrication. Possibly worn/bent axle, spacer, washer or broken/missing tab, pin, fastener. Lube will probably be a temporary fix but if can get away with it. BTW, not only is it tough (for laymen) to find a subtable lube for plastics, but you'll also want to keep in mind that whatever you use, will trap dust and dirt; as well as become a daily factor in your breathing. I've seen lubrication used on plastic gearing for some of the devices I've taken apart over the years so I know it exists. Try Google phrase: "plastics lubricators" If you know an engineer (or if there's one lurking around here,) they'd probably have the resources.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Intuit said:
I'd think there has to be some reason other than lubrication. Possibly worn/bent axle, spacer, washer or broken/missing tab, pin, fastener. Lube will probably be a temporary fix but if can get away with it. BTW, not only is it tough (for laymen) to find a subtable lube for plastics, but you'll also want to keep in mind that whatever you use, will trap dust and dirt; as well as become a daily factor in your breathing. I've seen lubrication used on plastic gearing for some of the devices I've taken apart over the years so I know it exists. Try Google phrase: "plastics lubricators" If you know an engineer (or if there's one lurking around here,) they'd probably have the resources.
HMMM, Ok, I will check it out again.
There is some sort of white goo on there now. It seems sort of sticky, I thought it was grease or silicone that after 15 years or so had become a problem.

I will double check it tonight. But I didn't see anything obviously wrong, it just seemed...well, sticky and the panel gets held up.

Rod
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top