FEOA Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 92 gt with 146000 miles on it. Recently the car has started to smoke horrificly in 1st, reverse, or really anytime I rev it up. The car is still quick, it has a cold air and the engine doesnt get hot unless I'm stuck in traffic. I hope its not my head gaskets , so I'm wondering if anyone has stumbled across this type of problem and found a decent fix that doesnt cost a lot. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I'd perform a "block test", It's a liquid solution that is in a rubber ended beaker that goes into the radiator. The tester allows for testing for exhaust gases which could be getting into the cooling system- i.e. head problem. The solution will change color if contacted with exhaust gases. What color smoke?, (white is most likely coolant, but blue smoke is likely oil)- bad rings or valve guide seals. If it passes block test and you are confident that it's not a head problem, then I would perform a compression test and see if any cylinders don't perform like the rest, which would indicate blow-by -- rings, head issues, or improperly seating valve(unlikely). Hope that steers you in the right direction.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

I was thinking of doing that, but I've come to the conclusion I'm just gonna take off the head cover and see whats going down, I'll start with getting a new head gasket because I know it's leaking oil from it, if it continues acting up I'll probably get a whole knew head set and replace the rings.

I'm fairly new at doing this kinda thing so I hope I dont mess it up too bad.

Thanks for your input.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.