FEOA Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a catastrophic A/C compressor failure.

Bought a remanufactured A/C compressor and installed with with new lines, new condenser, new drier and new orifice tube after flushing the evaporator. It was running at 380psi+ on the high side on idle. After giving it some gas it would go beyond 400 and shut off.

Took 0.5lb of freon out thinking that it may be overcharged but still ran at 350psi.

Exchanged the compressor for a new unit. Put it in after flushing all the lines, condenser and evap and installing new orifice tube and same thing again. It is running at 350-375psi on idle and even higher under throttle.

Does anyone have any clue on what is going on here? Anyone had a similar issue? Thanks.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does the pressure transducer only shut off the compressor when it reached a certain pressure or does it actually maintain the pressure by controlling the compressor operation?

·
Registered
95 Posts
What is the low side pressure? Are you using R12 or 134a?
The question about the pressure sensor....it is a safety device to keep the compressor rings and the refrig lines from self destruction.

How much freon did you add to get to this point, is the fan running, and, lastly, are you getting any cooling out of the vents

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Sounds to me like there's a restriction in the system somewhere. Wouldn't surprise me if there's a cap stuck somewhere. Either that or you've overcharged the hell out of it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.