FEOA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a 1996 1.9 lx that had the a/c compressor fail.

I replaced all the hoses (3 total), drier, condenser and a/c compressor and orifice tube of course.

The first time the pressures were 35-45 low side and 350+ idling high side. Under acceleration or gas it goes beyond 400 and shuts off.

Mechanic suggested it was the compressor i bought, since it was rebuilt and was making noise, so I bought a new one.

This time same thing, low side 40-45 and high side 375+ without the compressor noise ;)

The condenser was checked for high/low temp zones and turned out fine, with no restrictions that we could fine. My mechanic's guess is that it may be the condenser, but he is obviously not sure after checking it out.

We are out of guesses. Anyone had a similar issue? Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Did you flush the evaporator before you charged the system? If not some junk could still be in the system, plugging up the orifice tube. Are you sure it isn't over charged?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I flushed the evaporator and it isn't overcharged.

I forgot to mention that we undercharged it between the first and second a/c compressor to make sure that wasn't the problem and it still was high at 350psi.

We flushed the lines, evap, condenser and changed the orifice tube after the 1st compressor and the 2nd one is still running high psi.

What the hell is going on?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does the pressure transducer maintain the actual pressure by controlling the compressor operation based on pressure OR does it only shut it off after it has reached a certain pressure?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
high pressure means u put too much oil. system uses 7 oz if u flush it all, but compressor should come with 1.5 oz or so. also did u replace accumulator? when replacing a compressor the accumulator should be changed since its a giant filter, the gunk probably clogged the orifice tube again

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
It says he replaced the drier/accumulator. I always though the rule was to drain the oil out of the new compressor, measure the amount, then add that same amount of new oil to the system.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys, the amounts of oil and refrigerant are fine 100%. We even removed 0.5lbs of refrigerant to make sure that too much of it wasn't causing the high pressure and it still ran at 350+.

The accumulator has been replaced. EVERYTHING is new except the evaporator that was properly flushed.

What is pressure transducer's function? Is it only to shut off the compressor when pressure is too high or does it somehow regulate the pressure by sensing it it's too low or too high?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
take measurements with a garden hose running on the condensor. maybe fan is not kicking on

1 - 8 of 8 Posts