FEOA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed when my A/C is running, I hear clicking from inside the engine compartment, I checked it out today and notice the A/C clutch engages and disengages while idling. I found using google to search the site is much easier than using the built in search function. But anyway, Madbrad states that the clutch engages with vacuum in the manifold, which means that when idling, the A/C clutch should just be engaged, not cycling. I also notice while driving with the A/C on, the engine is a dog, even moreso than usual, basically feels like running into a wall, but it's intermittent. With the clutch cycling like it is during idle, is that a good indication that I have a vacuum leak somewhere? I sprayed brakleen around the intake areas and the idle did not increase. Not sure of any other trouble areas.

http://www.feoa.net/modules.php?name=Fo ... &view=next

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
I have never heard of the compressor engaging with manifold pressure. You should be able to hear a vaccume leak, my moms Taurus ran fine but there was a hissing at idle when you opened the hood. I felt and listened around and eventually found the leak. My A/C cycles all the time and still blows ice cold.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the A/C still blows cold, I'm just worried that it's not operating correctly.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've never had working A/C before and just didn't think it would drag the car down this badly in performance. Oh well! Thanks guys, much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
depending on your motor - 97+ 110hp - 93whp + a/c = ~75whp / 96 down 1.9 = ~100hp = 88whp + a/c = 65whp

if you run a/c expect to run slow, no power, very doggish and eat gas - a/c = comfort = bah.

a/c is for girls - and I say that truthfully haveing live in Las Vegas for 5 years, and NC for 7 and never ran it once - I live in PA where the temps are nice but the humidity sux and I still dont run it, hell, I pulled the fuse so it cant run. Roll down the windows and drive like a man :p

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
An underdrive pulley really helps with engine performance when the A/C is on. I went from a jolt when it would engage to it being barely noticeable after I installed my 25% underdrive.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haha. the only reason I even turned the A/C on was to kick the cooling fan on. otherwise, I do just roll the windows down and drive like a man.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
but that adds heat to the cabin... It's already 80* outside! I'm not that much of a man... unless you mean rear window defrost... but I don't see how that would pull heat from motor, lol!

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
mine did that too until it just stops and doesnt engage back 8O

1 - 12 of 12 Posts