FEOA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I hope one of y'all have an answer for me. I own a 2003 ZX2, I use it as a daily driver. And when I say daily driver I mean it gets DROVE. I generally log 3k+ miles a month (salesman for an IT MSP) and I generally buy a car for around $1,000.00 and over the course of a year put at least that much into it, not including the monthly oil changes. My A/C went out Friday, and the only clues I have to give is:
1) The first thing I noticed was a sound like a brake pad engaging while a car is being driven. This sound varies in frequency and tone, depending on RPM's and whether parked with or without the tranny engaged. The sound is coming from the passenger side engine bay.
2) When I got home on Friday I pulled the fuse for the A/C, it was blown. The fuse is rated for a 15, I replaced it with a 20 (I know, not generally advisable) and crunk the car, checked the A/C, still hot. Pulled the fuse, and it was blown as well. I'm barely functional as a mechanic, what I know could fill a large thimble, I can change oil, tranny gasket, follow simple YouTube "Monkey-see, Monkey-do" replacement and repair vids, but that's it. I'm leaning towards CCRM malfunction, and opting for replace over repair, due to my acknowledged shortcomings in mechanical ability and lack of owning a solder iron. If anyone can think of an alternate diagnosis I would love to hear it. I'm planning on doing the repair myself. Unfortunately I live in Florida, the home of trailer park meth heads, one of which stole my tools out of my garage last month. I have to buy a new socket set on Monday, so I can remove the air filter housing and access the CCRM. Any input would be appreciated. I work in long sleeve dress shirt and tie. In North Florida, the land of sticky swamps. Not South Florida, the land of sea breezes. I needs my A/C.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,298 Posts
I would go ahead and check the CCRM, but if that doesn't do it, I have to wonder about the clutch gap. If it's getting too big it might be trying to work anyway, which would require more current, this blowing the fuse. Don't put a 20A fuse into someplace where it's supposed to be 15A.

Obligatory:

·
Administrator
9,160 Posts
ur fuse is blowing cuz u need a new compressor clutch assy.

the wingdings have failed in the electromagnet and is drawing too much current.

gap has nothing to do with it. excessive gap will just cause it to slip.

ur going to burst into flames at the worse possible time unless u get that incorrect fuse out. its doing its job. u need a new coil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts