FEOA Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search but didn't find anything relevant so I'm hoping somebody has run into this. My blower motor works because I feel the air coming out, but it'll only blow through my defroster vents up on the dash. I turn the switch any which way and it only blows from the defrost vents. I've checked the switch and it's all hooked up right I traced the vacuum hoses from the switch for a bit and they seemed okay. Does this mean that the switch is bad or am I looking for something else. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It blows both hot and cold air through the defroster vents so this would indicate that there is vacuum at the switch. I am correct in this assumption? If that's the case then I need to check under the hood for loose vacuum lines correct?

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
There is a cable that runs from the selector switch to actuate the venting louvre arrangements. Your cable has slipped off the little plastic cam on the actuating plate. Trace the cable back to the actuator plate and it will become readily apparent. 20 second fix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This switch has no cable though, merely vacuum hoses. The only switch that has a cable is the temperature selection switch. That one's on tight and I can change easily from hot to cold, it just keeps coming out of the defroster vents.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i had the EXACT same problem, right after i installed a new head unit for my car stereo, when i put the new head unit kit in there was a plug stuck on the bottomof the dash i didnt see. if ur looking at ur dash it would be for the far right knob. theres two plugs that go into i only put one. if this is whats wrong its probably the plug that has a clear-ish head on it and plugs into this prong like things

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, it's got two plugs but I'll double check them to make sure. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for all the help thus far!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
mp3scort said:
if there is NO VACUUM PRESENT, it will default to defrost mode.
i think everyone heard that the first 5 times it was mentioned... default would be electrical... this is a mechanical issue... as highanddry said... i am nearly 100% sure that is the issue. its the mechanical cable that rotates a cam that actuates a valve that directs the air to the vents... if the cable is not attached or broken or something it will be stuck directing air to the defroster vents... or whatever setting you had it on... well it might settle to a location with no air blowing but for the most part it will stay where it stopped being moved by the cable... for you defrost.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Stuck on defrost

I have the same problem w/ my climate control. After having my cd player stolen and replacing the climate control switches/wires, my fan will on blow air through the defrost vents no matter which position is selected w/ the selector switch. It has nothing to do w/ the mechanical cable that adjusts the temperature and attaches to a prong on the driver-side. I am not sure what the problem is, but I'm going to look into the vacuum hoses that some members mentioned.

·
Registered
27 Posts
ok should have searched forum b4 I posted ...but I have been staring at this damn switch for ever......where exactly is the actuator wire and where does it run to? I do have both plugs plugged in to the switch, I have also traced one of the plugs (that has clear connecter) down to the passenger side floor where it connects to more vacuum lines.......I do see what looks like regular wires thats part of those plugs.....please what exactly am I looking for?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts