FEOA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loss of power suddenly while driving, check engine light came on, 2 cyls not firing and new coil makes no difference. Near 12 volts going to the coil. Is my next move to replace the PCM? or what does anyone suggest at this point...have NOT had code read or gone to a garage yet. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,053 Posts
have the code(s) read. it could be a wiring/ground issue, not a bad PCM.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pextor said:
have the code(s) read. it could be a wiring/ground issue, not a bad PCM.
Thanks for the reply...have since tested the coil pack 3xwire plug back to
the firewall connector for continuity=all good. Tested that coil is getting 10v+ with key on. Checked coil secondary wiring resistance=OK. Disconnected battery for 15 minutes and "check engine soon" light went away...
If not the PCm, what's the next step? I was told that the ignition switch may not be supplying a pulse through the two outside wires in the coil pack harness/connector...? Any idea how to test for this? Lol, this is my first
dive into automotive electronics! I will replace plugs and wires tomorrow.....

·
Super Moderator
6,053 Posts
is the loss of power still there? does it feel like it's missing on at least one cylinder?

·
Super Moderator
6,053 Posts
try disconnecting the power from each injector, #1 and #4, and see if it runs differently.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pextor said:
try disconnecting the power from each injector, #1 and #4, and see if it runs differently.
Hmmm, Are these sensors that disable spark to the cylinder if the injector is not supplying fuel? Going out to try this...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I pulled the leads off #1 and #4 injectors, one at a time and there was no difference. I pulled the #2 and #3 leads individually and the engine would not start...
I'm going right now to buy new plugs and wires.

Will report back

·
Super Moderator
6,053 Posts
I was hoping one of the injectors was shorted. it was a longshot...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, didn't get the plugs or wires, not in stock...Grrrr
The only difference pulling injector wires made was when I pulled the ones firing...lol, anything is worth trying at this point.

Think I'll swap wires and plugs to rule out bad ones..........
Currently using Bosh platinums and heard they aren't the best but at least they are the single tips.

* Have you ever noticed that once you take the injector leads off, the little plastic tabs that lock them on fall off? Guess just old and brittle

Be back when I've tried that!

·
Super Moderator
6,053 Posts
yes, I broke one on my old 99 too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
YESSSS! Made some progress! I cut a paperclip to make leads to use a DMM to test the pulse to the small outside wires on the coil-pack connector, cranked the engine over to watch for the pulse from 0 to 12 volts in rapid succession.....didn't do it, BUT, when I put the connector back on the coil-pack, the car ran fine for about 15 seconds before going bad again.....

I am going to try to snug up the connectors to see if I had a bad connection all the time, which would also account for the fact that "I'm almost positive" when this started that it was the #2 and #3 misfiring. I thought I must have been mistaken LOL Maybe I wasn't

It's also possible that by testing it I sent some signal that everything was OK now and that reset something and then when I started the car it sensed there was really a problem and faulted again...

What do you think? haha

Going out to try and seeeeeee!

Dam right I have my fingers crossed!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No go...couldn't duplicate the fix...but still could mean a bad connection and I just couldn't get a good one, it's dark, bayonets may be screwed etc

Grrrrrrr

1 - 16 of 16 Posts