FEOA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had trouble starting my car yesterday, but eventually got it running (just tried starting it like 5 times) and then got to work ok. I tried starting it at lunch just to make sure it would start... she started right up, no problems. When I went to leave work I had issues. The car basically died when under load. If I gently pressed on the gas the car would rev slightly and then start searching back and forth between 500 and 1500 rpm. Getting it to move was a little tricky, but I found that if I got going I was fine. It seemed after it warmed up I didn't really have any problems. There was an engine code (I think P0102) which was the MAF sensor. I tested the sensor as described in the repair manual I have. It says to check 2 pins VPWR and MAF to NEG battery terminal.
VPWR should be 10.5V
MAF should be between .36 and 1.8 (or something similar)

my readings were:
VPWR: 14V
MAF: 0V

So it seemed pretty clear the MAF was bust, so I went out and got another one, replaced it, and it works (yes, it does work -- no searching). However, I retested these voltages and now I'm getting:
VPWR: 14V
MAF: .86V

My question is.... the VPWR voltage is it too high? I imagine If it's just the battery voltage then it should be completely fine, maybe they messed up when reporting what the voltage should be in the repair manual. However, if it should be lower (like 10.5V), then probably I'm just going to blow out this MAF sensor too. I would like to know if I am going to waste this one.. should I be checking the electrical schematics to see if there is a load somewhere which drops the 14V battery voltage down to 10.5V? Perhaps that thing went and now the input voltage to the MAF is too high.

Thoughts? Comments?

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have the ford service manual and reading the information about the VPWR it is ok to have that voltage, As long as it does not drop to less than 10.5v everything its OK.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts