FEOA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
i have a 98 zx2 . that is still over heating
i have changed the 2 sensors. on the thermostat and the thermostat it self 180 temp. .
only seems to over heat with a/c off
a/c on it stays around half on gauge. if u turn a/c off it goes to 3/4 the way to h. fan does kick on then but way way to late and it only runs for like 3sec then cuts off . even tho its overheating. fan should stay on if its really that hot ?
Wood Gas Nozzle Flooring Chemical compound

if i unplug the top sensor. it turns cooling fan on even tho it is not hot . i just started it . .
i plug senor bk in fan stops and it overheats. .
i add a pic of the sensors that i replaced. .
any ideas what i did wrong? .

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
Question: Does the fan operate a relay and then the relay operates the fan or is the relay embedded in the CCRM? Can you plug into the OBD-II diagnostic harness and verify the temperature that the engine is seeing?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes sir the relay is made into the ccrm. my code reader dnt read temp. . i can buy one just to compare temp like u said .. thanks for the idea at this point im all ears. give me a few days till i get paid and i post the results with a code reader that reads temps .
if i unplug coolant sensor fan does come on high speed. .

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi,
We have the same problem on my son’s 2003 5spd.
Two CCRM’s (one overhauled), new sensors, t-stat w/housing, new fan assembly.
When we pull the top connector or turn on A/C the fan kicks on.
He just blew the head gasket missing an overheat at a red light. The head will be overhauled, but rather not do it twice. Any luck with troubleshooting the fan not kicking on?

·
Registered
4 Posts
well im a bit late but, if it'll help anyone in the future the 98 model has a clip in sensor ( sensor on the right) and the rest of the years had a screw in type(sensor on left)...im not sure what you swapped or how you managed to get it to work but those are infact for two different housing styles. another thing might have been the water pump itself? id like to hear back what your issue was if you ended up fixing it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
King,
Any luck?

Here’s what we found on my son’s 2003. Unconnecting the top sensor tell the ECU to go into safe mode. This will lock the fans on, but also cause the ECU to make other adjustments and disrupt proper engine performance.
Our scan tool did not have live data, so we purchased a Bluetooth OBDII for $12 on eBay which does provide live data through mobile apps from various companies. Using both a laser thermometer shooting the thermostat housing and viewing the OBDII live data we verified that the fan does kick on at 220F. I believe ford was satisfied with this, but I think they should’ve engineered it to turn on sooner.

I believe the head gasket was already going, and coupled with incorrect radiator fluid (2003’s use gold which cannot be mixed with green) was causing it to overheat. Keep those radiator fluids changed properly and check engine compression for a failing head gasket.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts