FEOA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ALright so I brought it home and it looked alright. They guys before me didn't take great care of it, the oil change sticker was 20,000 miles overdo, there were some cigerette burns (luckily in the hideous seat covers the put on that I easily removed), no floor mats, flaming skulls and goofy stickers on it. Spent four days on the interior and today on the exterior and started working on what makes it tick.

Interior: Yanked the carpets, the seats, anything not mounted to the frame apart from the dashboard and cleaned it (I hate tobacco juice. ARGH), uses Armor-All and the interior is now, as my parents put it, 'Showroom Quality' (apart from some burns and scratches to the plastic)

Exterior: Stickers!! And minor scuffs. The headlights will need major buffing but thats not a huge concern.

Alright now to the fun stuff. It came with a performance Muffler, no clue what type. The tip was black almost, but some buffing proved it to be silver or chrome (still needs cleaning). Oil and tranny fluid were...Interesting. Just fixed that today. Air filter was nearly black. Rear brakes need to be replaced (Paper thin just about) and a sway bar needs to be replaced. There's also alot of oil near the oil filter that's not quite been explored. And a chunk of a gasket. I wonder what that might mean?

Mods: My first one is done! The gear shift indicator now glows red at night. THe bulb was burnt, and in my cleaning frenxy I took it off and looked at it. About 80% of the green and red was scratched up badly and all the film on the L was gone, so I cleaned it off, put a red bulb in there, and it looks alright. SOme of the white was gone so it is slightly splochy in places. I hope to change all the colors to red, maybe change the interior to black with red accents.

ALso, what MX3 parts are worth using that are easily put on?

Thanks guys! I hope to help you all out somehow in the future.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah, bright red, ATX with grey interior. Funny thing it is loaded, except power windows and power locks. It has a spoiler, rims, sport decal, sunroof, cassette deck, remote entry, cruise control, but no power windows/locks...

·
Registered
492 Posts
It sounds like this car was abused. You'll want to install an auxillary transmission cooler to keep that ATX alive. It likes synthetic fliud as well. Actually, the best thing to do would be to swap it from automatic to manual. That alone takes 1 second off of your 1/4 mile time. This engine likes breathing mods as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool thanks. All in all it still runs very strong, but where would I found a tranny cooler and how much would the MTX swap put me back?

·
Registered
492 Posts
That depends greatly on who you buy the parts from. The best way is to find a MTX that was hit in the rear or side so that you have all of the parts. You can find them for less then $1000. Then, when you are done, sell of the rest of the parts to make back some money. I did a swap for a guy and after paying me and selling parts, it only cost him $100.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, so this has been a long summer so I apologize for no replies to this sooner.

Anyway, closer examination showed that a few mounts were shot, sway bar links were shot, all filters needed replacing (That air intake still makes me gag just thinking about it). And also numerous other little parts have been tweaked and fixed and it has now resumed stock beastlyness.

Now I left for two weeks for some CAP/USAF stuff and was in the airport terminal, walking out to meet my dad who slapped a pair of black racing stripes, tinted the windows, and put my old rims off of my accord onto it. She looks killer, and once I get one of the cameras out of the bag and clean her off, I'll upload some pics. Every now and then she has a small stutter on something or another but it fixes itself quickly and I carry on. Aside from an oil change here soon, she's ready to put ricers in their places. (Already showed some green nissan and a Scion what for stock.) Sound system already does, I got an amp from a guy for $20, and my dad brought home a 10" out of an Eclipse and it sounds nice!

My plans are to get a K&N drop in and look into headers back since my exhaust is on its way out. K&N at O' Riellys is $45 and pacesetter headers are about $200. I don't have alot to spend so that may be the majority of my mods for now. I'm going to college at the end of the month so who knows where I'll take it there.

Anyway, if anyone has any other ideas or suggestions let me know!

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Get an actual air intake instead of just the K&N filter. The the vary least remove your lower intake resonator under the airbox.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, but I heard getting the tube didn't really help that much. I forget from where though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Look up in google, the Keman intake mod. You can modify your stock setup to bring more air into the motor for the price of a KN air filter and some plumbing parts. Well worth it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts