FEOA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the car about 2 weeks ago, I want to just do a few simple things to it to help performance and fuel economy. Basicly what should I do or change/replace for a tune up.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, air filter, oil, oil filter.

That's a good start

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, I just went to Auto Zone and purchased everything minus the oil and oil filter because that was recently done. Now my question it how to do the stuff. The plugs look like they are kinda hard to get at and the air and fuel filters i have no clue. If there are aritcles posted please post links to them. Anything would be great.

·
Super Moderator
6,053 Posts
since you have a 98, you have a spark plug cover you will have to remove to get to the spark plugs. as you have noticed from your new wires, the spark plugs are pretty far down in the head, so you will need a decent length extension to get to them to remove them.

the fuel filter is on the drivers side of the fire wall, and it's fun to replace. you have to loosen the clamp holding it on and remove the clips holding the fuel lines to the filter. before you do that, bleed the system so fuel doesn't spray out everywhere. bleed the system = remove fuel pump fuse and run car till it shuts off.

air filter is fairly easy, just release the clamp that holds it on, pull it apart enough to get the filter out and put the new one in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nvm I see it now, I have no idea how im going to get at that. Also I have no clue on how to get that metal thinger off or seperate the air filter after unclamping it. Im sorry im pretty much a newb at this right now, Im hoping to get better plus its a new car to me and im 18

·
Super Moderator
6,053 Posts
no worries my friend. we were all newbs at one point!

i'm not sure if autozone will install an air filter for you or not, I know they do light bulbs and wipers. you could ask, maybe they'll do it then you can see how it's done for the next time :)

as for the fuel filter, it's a pain to get to, with all the crap in the way.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Removing the battery and battery tray makes the fuel filter alot easier to get to. You don't remove the metal thing, you just flip the handle on it up and the two parts will separate.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok that hopefully will make it easier. I tryed opening the air filter bay and after unclamping it it wouldnt really open up..

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
I would try disconnecting the the intake from the motor. Sometimes there isn't enough wiggle room to get the airbox apart without doing something like that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well tonight I tackled the spark plugs and wires and air filter, I had no idea that was where the plugs where, I thought it was on the side of the engine towards the windshield...Doh. Got them out changed the wires and pulled the air filter apart and threw a new one in. The old filter was pretty dirty so im happy that I changed it. The plugs did have oil on them?? Not sure what that means. Im going to do the fuel filter at a later date because that looks like a job. So yeah, learned a lot and once I was fininshed I wiped down all the rubber and such and now its a beast.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There was oil in the little bay down there, Not a lot but some. Is this a big problem and can it cause anything to happen.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
inexpensive part - 30 min fix - oil in the holes, if allowed to build up may cause misfireing, but for that to happen requires ALOT of build-up.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
It shouldn't do anything to the engine if you leave it unchecked. Replacing the gasket shouldn't take over an hour. I'm sure you could can do it yourself and the gasket can't cost more than $20.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
oh alright, I just changed all that stuff and my gas milage isnt very good. Right now im gettting towards E and im currently getting 18MPG City based on the 12.7 Gallon tank. I have floored it a few times but usally im giving enough gas where it shifts at 2500RPMs, Maybe i just need to give it less gas.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Something is wrong if you are only getting 18 MPG.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts