FEOA Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Have a 97 LX sedan with auto trans. What is involved (in terms of time and work) to remove the auto trans? My VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) went bad and it is such a PITA to try to change it while the trans is still in the car. Have tried but it is frozen in the trans. Trying to decide whether to try it myself or just take it to a shop. :?

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Before you go ripping the tranny out of the car, have you tried PB Blaster penetrating oil? It *might* (with the help of a prayer or two) get it to come out. I got some 50 year old nuts and bolts that had been sitting outside for god knows how long to break free with that stuff. You can get it in the engine additives aisle at walmart. Comes in a white and yellow spray can. Good Luck.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, tried PB Blaster (and prayer), no help. Hit the flange with a cold chisle, trying to get it to loosen. No luck. Only managed to mangle the VSS flange. It is stuck tight in the trans. In fact, it looks like the pic in another thread about speed sensor. Just got tired of messing with it while it is still in the car.

·
Registered
899 Posts
it will come out it may break but it will come out. just keep trying, then take a break, and try again. i had to break mine before i got it out. but half the time i was prying on the wrong part of the sensor.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, here is the latest on this headache. Took car to trans shop. Talked to tech who said he has done stuck VSS before. After 3 hours, got call that they can not remove without dropping trans and opening case. Total cost to run $1200. 8O Just told them to put back together and that I would pay for time/effort already involved. I am sure I could get it out if tranny was out of car. So back to original question. How hard to pull tranny?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts