FEOA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of swapping an engine and transmission from a 1997 LX into a 1999 SE and have noticed that the 97 has a kickdown cable going to the transmission. After reading on another post that the 1997 has the kickdown cable and the 99 has an electronic kickdown.
My question is, can I hook up the cable kickdown and disable the electronic kickdown? Or will I run into computer control problems.
Any info or thoughts on the subject would be helpful.
I have both engines out and am ready to do the install, just need to know if I need to swap transmissions before I put it in, I'm assuming the transmissions are interchangeable.

· Registered
1998 ZX2
9,978 Posts
In order to use a 97 transmission in a 99 you will have to swap over the computer and electrical from the 97 into the 99 or find out what part of the trans itself are different and swap the 99 parts onto it. The 99 trans will bolt up to the 97 engine with no problems though. If you are going to use the 97 engine you will need to swap the fuel rail from the 99 engine onto it as well as find a place to mount the knock sensor.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am using the 97 engine. Sounds like my best route is to just put the 99 transmission on the 97 engine. I've already swapped the intake manifold, and fuel rail from the 99 to the 97.
You're mention of the knock sensors is something I'd overlooked. I'm not even sure where it is on the 99, so I'll have to refer to my chiltons.
If you are going to use the 97 engine you will need to swap the fuel rail from the 99 engine onto it as well as find a place to mount the knock sensor.
Is there options in where it can be mounted on the 97?

Thanks for the input

· Registered
1998 ZX2
9,978 Posts
You just basically need to find a solid, flat, piece of metal attached to the engine to bolt it to. You can extend the wires if need be. It should be bolted to the intake side if the 99 engine block. The 97's didn't have this sensor so the place where it would mount isn't machined and doesn't not have any holes drilled.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another question on this transmission swap.
My haynes manual says during removal to "Paint an alignment mark on one of the converter studs and driveplate so they can be reassembled in their same relative order."
Then under assembly it says "The white paint mark on the torque converter and the stud must line up."
So my questions are, What is the reason for this? How do I know if the two seperate converters were in the same relative position when i removed them? If they needed to be in the same relative position, and weren't, then how would I allign them now that they are already seperated?
Hope that makes sense.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.