FEOA Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone knows offhand, or if you can find out for me, is the 1996 Cavalier 2.2 engine a non-interference engine or not?

I would like to know because a friends car died on them yesterday, and it sounds like the timing belt snapped.

If anything, a way to check to see if anything was severly damaged because of a timing belt snap would be helpful.

Anyway, baby's crying, gotta go. Thanks ahead of time.

·
Banhammer available, no waiting!
793 Posts
My g/f has a 97' Cavalier with the 2.2L but I'm not sure about the answer on the question Limp. If nobody answers by tomorrow, I will ask my mechanic when I talk to him tomorrow. My car is in the shop getting the A/C checked out.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Limp??? LOL, nobody's called me that yet!!! Well, not anyone from this site anyway! (We'll leave that one alone :? )

And thanks man, I appreciate it. I'm gonna take a look at their car tomorrow after work sometime. So an answer (if possible) in the morning would be best.

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
rellimpk said:
Limp??? LOL, nobody's called me that yet!!! Well, not anyone from this site anyway! (We'll leave that one alone :? )
Well, we know your significant other can't call you that...look at whats layin next to you in your avatar. btw how old is she in that pic?

Anyway, I tend to blow 50/50 chances and I think it's a non interference engine. I could ask my friends up at Harold Chevrolet if I go up to Angola tomorrow (they're a client of ours). :wink:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL, she's about 1 month old in that picture, that was taken right about her due date. And if either of you could find out for me, that would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and I hope this breaks your streak of 50/50 "guesses" being wrong.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I just got back from my friend's house. There is definately spark and air getting to the engine, and from what I can tell, the timing chain is still fine. The only thing I'm really not sure on is fuel, I can hear the fuel pump whirring when I put the ignition into accessory.

The problem is as follows for those that don't already know. The car died the other day, acted like the timing chain went, and now the car won't crank. Mind you, the engine WILL turn over, but it won't start. One of my questions is this, would the pistons still move when the engine is cranked even if the timing chain were to be broken?

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
The pistons yes...they will still move because the starter cranks the flywheel, which is connected to the crankshaft, which connects to the connecting rods, which connects to the pistons. :p

The camshafts won't move though. is the timing belt/chain still on the pulleys though?

if it's not spark or air that's causing the problems maybe a fuel line is kinked, the fuel filter might be completely clogged (or the rail/injectors for that matter) You said the fuel pump is "whirring" but, do you know if it is actually pumping the gas?? :?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
About the pistons, I figured as much.

I don't know if the chain is still on the gears or not, checking the timing chain on that car would be a major project, one I don't have the time or resources for right now.

I think it might be the timing chain, judging be the description of what happened. But in any case, I'm not sure if any fuel is getting to the engine or not. I figure the easiest way to check is to pull a spark plug and check for gas smell coming out of the spark plug well. Not the safest thing, but I think I can handle it, and besides, if the car has an interference engine, then any damage that could happen probably already has.

Speaking of that, what kind of damage would be done if it were an interference engine, and would there be an easy way to tell if damage has been done or not?

·
Banhammer available, no waiting!
793 Posts
Could try spraying some carb. cleaner in the throttle body to see if it will run. If it does, then it has to be a fuel problem. Paul, I couldn't get ahold of my mechanic today b/c he was swamped with work and I couldn't leave work since I was there by myself. If I can reach him tomorrow I will ask then. Hopefully they will have my car done as well. :wink:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I got a couple of questions as I can't lend much more info than James and rascal have already put in. Rellimpk, I see your in Montgomery and have the AF emblem in your sign. Am I to assume that you are stationed at Maxwell? I will hopefully be there at the end of August. PM me if you want.

Secondly, Rascal, do you know if we get any discounts at CarDomain if members here? I've seen some other people have that in their signatures and wondered if someone who is a member here operates it.

Hope things get worked out with the Cav Rellimpk. I am not real auto savvy, but I would think that if in fact the Cav has a timing chain, then I don't know how it could "slip," so if it is intact, then it hopefully wasn't dealing with that. As the others have referenced, check spark, fuel, and compression. Smelling for gas in the hole or spraying carb cleaner in the throttle body could help solve that problem. If you spray something in, it runs, and then dies very shortly thereafter, it's the gas.

Good luck and congratulations on the little girl.

·
Registered
127 Posts
James92Scort said:
The pistons yes...they will still move because the starter cranks the flywheel, which is connected to the crankshaft, which connects to the connecting rods, which connects to the pistons. :p
"The hip bone connected to the
thigh bone, the thigh bone....."
Sorry, that just got too funny for me to resist. :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.