FEOA Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have on my 95 2nd gen 1.9 a 56mm tarus throttlebody, 87 1.9 HO headers, big intake, and disabled egr, since the egr is vacuum operated i figured it would make no difference, but sometimes i get a check engine light when i coast down in gear.

so my question is if i swapped out the ecu from my 92 non-erg motor will that do anything (since that ecu is made for no egr) because that motor has the small mass air while my 95 has the large mass air will it work or even plug in?

sorry if my post is confusing im trying to figure this out drunk.

· Registered
1998 ZX2
9,978 Posts

· Registered
6,057 Posts
if u use the bigger maf on a 92 ecu, u'll end up with lean fuel conditions which will make the motor surge at 55+ mph

· Registered
1998 ZX2
9,978 Posts
hotrodlsc7 said:
trick the 92 computer so i can run big mass so it thinks its small mass right?

how?
Didn't you even read the link? Its to trick the 95 computer into thinking that the EGR is there when it isn't.

· Registered
6,057 Posts
hey matt, since my car has a trannsmission control unit, would the manual ecu work for me?

· Registered
1998 ZX2
9,978 Posts
I honestly had never heard of any 1.9 2nd gen having a separate ECU for the transmission until you said anything. If that is true I guess a manual ECU would work but then again, I'm not a 2nd gen expert. The only way to know is to try.

· Registered
6,057 Posts
madmatt2024 said:
I honestly had never heard of any 1.9 2nd gen having a separate ECU for the transmission until you said anything.
lookin in my chiltons handbook, the 91 and 92 automatics have it. if they're like the probes that also have it, i should be able to pull the transmission trouble codes thru the shift up light. :)

· Registered
1998 ZX2
9,978 Posts
You see, I had heard it was only the 91 and 92 GT's that had the separate ECU.

· Registered
6,057 Posts
i don't know about the GT's

· Registered
6,057 Posts
i was doin some reading on the EGR and read somewhere that it will advance the timing. is that true?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.