FEOA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a very cheap tach cluster from a 95 LX and I wanted to drop it into my 96 LX, but the wiring on the plugs is radically different. I can change the wiring in the plugs, but it would take a road map and a lot of time. Does anyone know of an easier way to do this? Is there a diagram with wire colors available? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
911 Posts
get the wiring diagram out of a haynes and trace the wires...then get donor plugs to match up to the new cluster and wire the correct wires into it. It wont be too difficult.

·
BYO Plastic cutlery
9,869 Posts
I have posted about this several times. I had to do that for my 93 GT that the dealer swapped a 95 LX(with tach) into . Most warning lights didn't work, or came on at the wrong time, etc., etc. It was to correct a bad fuel guage. It was the sender so it was all for naught. The dealer didn't realize the warning lights were all wrong, so it was my problem. When I looked at the back of the instrument tub, the 3 plugs were the same as their 93 counterparts, but most of the wires were in different locations on the plugs. I spent 3 days ringing everything out and finally got it all in order. I don't know an easier way, but it might be that if you had the plugs from the donor car, you could use the wire colours as a guide.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the donor plugs...the cluster was purchased from a wrecking yard and had the wires cut but the plugs still in place. I'll take a look and see what I can find. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
911 Posts
not a problem...to put it simply....

Get the hanyes and mark down the colors of wires and then just look up the diagram on the new guage cluster and match up the old wires w/ where they should be.

And if you have to run a new tach wire...you can usually find the tach wire color and where it comes out of the coil in one of the other diagrams as well. Then just splice in a new wire onto that tach line and run it through your firewall...But thats if you dont already have one in your dash.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts