FEOA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aite boyz...i recently visited ye local junkyard shop and bout me some 95 GT side skirts. They're a l'il different than the older GT side skirts. They're not a "c" shape and they have metal brackets you must first mount on the side of the car..then put the sideskirts in yada yada. ANywho...QUESTION: They're the wrong colour, I have some paint from Cdn Tire that matches my car colour...is that advisable to use on the skirts? AND... can i just paint 'em? Or do i have to do the whole sand-prime-paint deally? OH!! one more...(sorry :oops: ) after i paint..clear or not to clear? Thanks oh wise and mighty gurus!

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I'm pretty sure you've got to clear too.

I repainted the sideskirts on my sister's deceased 91GT by sanding and re-painting. I primed and painted, but no clear. A year down the road the shet was already flaking off. Mainly cause rocks were getting thrown at it.

I'd recommend taking it to a shop to get it done. I'd also recommend MIG-welding any rust spots and basically bringing in a bunch of pieces you need painted and fixed. Anyway, that's my 2.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
you should sand your sideskirts by hand with a fine sand paper....lets say 600 or so ....lightly sand them in order to remove the factory clear coat...then you should wash them with acetone to remove any remaining of contaminent like grease, finger prints and dust from the sanding process... and then wash them carefully with water to remove traces of acetone...let it air dry or dry it with a clean clothe or shop towel.... I recommend you to wear gloves when you handle the skirts and whenever you paint something..cauz the grease from your fingers will mess the paint....it will crack and its a pain in the 4ss to start all over again...trust me hehe...

dont get crazy about the sanding...dont spend like 45 hours doing this..just make sure you gently sanded the whole surface.... then apply primer....2 coats...follow the indications on your primer spray can.... then apply your colored paint...at least 3 coats and then i suggest that you apply 3 to 4 coats of clear coat...cauz as tito said...they'll be in contact with a lot of debris and rocks from the road...

if you wear gloves, sand them, wash em, and know how to apply paint correctly...wich mean that you wont overspray a thick 3mm coat of paint..they should be fine....
if the paint starts to leak.. you are too close from the object your painting...or you are applying too much paint at a time...dont overspray..its better to spray less then too much...

hope this help :)
Max

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
and about CDN tire paint..
it always depend on what you are using..
i bought MOTOmaster primer one day....its the worst crap i ever used...

Buy TREMCLAD AUTOMOTIVE PRIMER if you dont want to spend too much money but still want some quality....

and about the Paint in general..it depends...some colors will leak easier then others...i suggest you to practice yourself on some piece of plastic or plexiglass just to get used to the product.... cauz you gotta remember that professional car painter are used to the product they use so they know exactly how they should apply the paint and how much paint they should apply...
Also...its always a good thing to apply paint in a room...not outside pleasE!!!! cauz dust will get in your paint as the wind blows....

and you should do this in a room filled with dry air and the temperature should be around 20-25 celsius....for ideal results :) looks complicated but its not hehehe just take your time and dont get crazy with paint hahaha..i know its fun to do but if your apply too much paint at one time it will start to leak..and then you gotta either wait for the paint to dry...completely and sand it down again...or wipe everything as quickly as possible with acetone....
Also..let your skirts dry for a couple of days before you install them..and if you can let them toast under the hot sun...its always better as the paint will dry stronger... the best thing would be to cook them in an oven..but i doubt your oven is large enough hehehe :)mine isn't anyways hehehe

·
Registered
911 Posts
damn electro....you know your painting. Just a lil side note. Dont spend money on cheap primer and go for the expensive paint and clear. Go for the expensive primer and then work your way down w/ cost from there.(i'm not saying to buy cheap paint by far) just warning ya cuz when cheap primer is used paint will flake/chip off alot easier and quicker.

And alot of paintshops actually do the cooking too...So you could possibly take your parts to them to get them cooked. I think Maaco does it that way :?: but i think its not insanely hot temps. Just like 125 degrees or something like that. Maybe not even that high.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.