FEOA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 93 lx 1.9 5speed it has had idle issues for about 3 months where sometimes it would idle so rough it would die and oter times it would be fine also the cooling fan would only come on with the ac . well on my way home from work yesterday it would not return to idle it was staying at about 2grand well right around the corner from my house it died so we pushed it home and it wont restart. when i try to start it it cranks fine but the fuel pump is screaming and now the fan is on and wont shut off it has spark and the timing belt is less then a year old and in time. any suggestions?

·
Registered
15,318 Posts
How many miles are on the car?

Did you check for vacuum leaks? If so how? If you did not use a Mityvac, then you did it wrong. the PCV elbow on these things go bad like crazy.

I do not trust the IAC past 150K. They really can't be cleaned properly.

Check for air leaks.

Clean the MAF.

How old are the spark plugs and what type are they. These cars don't like Bosch plugs. I recommend Autolite APP 5144's.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i checked for vacuum leaks and the elbows is new also and the maf was replaced like 10k ago also it has autolite platinums in it and new plug wires the thing that has my perplexed is the fact that now the fuel pump runs constantly as well as the fan im thinking the ecu but havent had alot of exp with them going bad

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Fuel pump relay??? EEC relay??? Fan relay??? Bad temperature senosr??? I'd got to a JY and get some relays and do a little experimenting before replacing the ECU. The EEC relay and fuel pump relay are mounted on the ECU bracket, but I don't know where the fan relay is located. Maybe some of the other 2nd generation owners can help you with that.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
there's a high speed fan relay and a low speed fan relay. both r mounted behind the driverside headlight where u would find the air silencer.

·
Registered
15,318 Posts
When you checked for vacuum leaks, did you use a MityVac or some similiar device?

How many miles are on the car?

How old is the IAC?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Check the intake manifold for leaks. Use a can of starting fluid or carb cleaner and spritz all the way around the manifold. If the idle jumps up...you've found your problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i went to the local upull it jy and found a ecu and replaced it and no more problems thanks for everyones input

·
Registered
348 Posts
I've had a similar issue and for the longest time, where the idle will just skyrocket. I thought the problem was with the IAC valve. However I borrowed a friends EECIV reader and it came up with the TPS error code. I will have to try replacing the TPS sensor to see if it fixes the problem, otherwise its probably time to replace the IAC valve. - Peter

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
i had this problem when i replaced my IAC :D

·
Registered
348 Posts
Well being my code is saying its the TPS sensor and given the fact that the shifting has been a bit off my first instinct is to replace the TPS sensor. Will probably get a JY pull first and if that fixes it up then i will get a new replacement for it. Wouldn't be the first time a TPS went bad. The first time one went bad I had the throttle body apart to clean it and when I went to put it back together the TPS wouldn't go back on, replaced the TPS and all was good. - Peter

1 - 12 of 12 Posts