FEOA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently replaced the automatic transmission in my 93 LX with a pulled one that was listed in the parts yards system as having 70000 or so miles on it. I didn't believe it myself but the fluid that was in it was nice and clean and the transmission shifts great. However it seems to have an issue with the 2 to 1 downshift in that if the transmission is still in 2nd gear when the car stops the engine will stall out, but if i slow down enough to let the trans shift back into first gear before it stops it is fine. Is this a symptom of the kick down cable not adjusted properly? Or is it more of an internal problem with the transmission either with the shift solenoids or some of the internal mechanics of the transmission? I tried searching both here on the forum and on the web itself and wasn't able to find anything about this. I ruled out vacuum issues as I replaced the vacuum hoses and also ruled out ignition as everything from the coil to the plugs is new as well. Could possibly be a fuel issue but I doubt it as the filter is newer and the fuel pressure is within spec. Also a new O2 sensor, newer catalytic converter(original one had a damaged casing). Any help is appreciated. - Peter

· Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm similar yes, but different. The problems I am having happen in any gear whether I've been on the highway or not. I am well aware of the GM FWD TCC clutch problem as I used to have a '93 Chevy Cavalier that had a problem with it. Just disabled it and went on with driving.

I am almost positive the issue is with whatever controls the 2-1 downshift. I just hope it is not something internal with the transmission as even though it has a 120day warranty on it I don't want to replace the transmission for a 2nd time.

I did try adjusting the kick down cable, putting it far to the right, far to the left, and various points in between to no avail, so I am pretty sure it is not that. - Peter

· Registered
6,096 Posts
lets hope ur gears don't slip after messing with that cable. i can have mt TC locked in any gear even in 1st but only when it's moving. if i'm sittin in 1st with the TC locked, it will stall. mine is controlled by me BTW. does it stall when it's idling? it could be the IACV. other than that, the ECU when it should shift and the VSS tells it what gear it should be in at a certain speed

· Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
juggalo: the kick down cable was put back to where it started off at so no worries about that.

All: It was an issue internally, in that it was ever so slightly underfilled. Topped off the trans fluid and the problem went away.

Recently as I posted in another posting I stated I replaced the trans cooler lines as one developed a leak. The trans was about a quarter to a half quart under. What through me off was the fact that it stalled the car out. The best I can figure is that when it was trying to shift from 2 to 1 it caused the transmission to struggle just enough which caused enough drag on the engine(and yes through the torque converter) to drop the engine speed far enough below idle speed to cause the engine to stall out. No harm done to the transmission as it had enough fluid for proper upshifting, just the combination of low fluid level + low engine speed which in turn caused the transmission flow rate through the transmission to drop to a point where it couldn't provide enough pressure to properly downshift. Combination of things that lead to an interesting issue. That's the best I can figure at least. - Peter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.