FEOA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pulling away friom a traffic signal today on my way to lunch, when my transmission did something very strange. It shifted VERY hard, barked the tires even, and then started to slip... The engine revved pretty high, so I eased off the gas and it was somewhat responsive. But it seemed like the "clutch" was slipping. (to use a manual analogy.)

I got to the next light, stop, and as it changed, I tried to take off with it in OD, it just slipped. I pulled into D and got the same thing. Bumped it down into L and was able to accellerate. Manually shifted it up into D at 4k rpm, (I was pulling onto the interstate) and it seemed ok, it pulled well, bumped it up into OD again at about 60mph.

It started "wavering" as I attempted to maintain speed on the interstate... at 60mph the rpm would sorta oscillate between 2.5 and 4k... very bizarre. I ate a quick lunch, experienced the same symptoms afterward, so, I stopped and checked my Transmission Fluid, just out of curiosity. It seemed pretty close to full, but I added a bit for good measure.

The beavior didn't change. Reverse works great. Low gear works great. Drive and OverDrive won't catch and accellerate from a stop, and OverDrive won't even maintain speed... Any suggestions/insight?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
time to swap a manual tranny... whoever decided to make 1.8s autos should be shot :). sounds like a torque converter problem... but im not a automatic genious so maybe someone else will be able to help for sure.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have the same car, on its third tranny at 163k. God knows if I had the time to mess with it I would drag this crappy transmission out of my car and switch to manual. Worst transmissions I have ever personally encountered. Mine gave out at 75-80 mph on the freeway-- lost 3rd and 4th, and shortly after taking the nearest exit it lost everything but reverse and 1st (which were barely doing anything anyway.) When the previous tranny was rebuilt, they used household silicone sealant on the pan, and apparently AT fluid eats silicone. Globs of the stuff broke loose and clogged the valves. My mechanic pulled another auto tranny out of a wrecked car for $550. This one has been running for almost 2 years and shifts strong every time, but like the first two, its accumulators have gone bad and it shifts rough as hell between 1st and 2nd and 2nd and 3rd.

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
Bad TPS senser will cause the tranny to do wierd stuff. If tranny fluid level is ok and the TPS senser then you might have fried one of the clutches.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Onegimp said:
Bad TPS senser will cause the tranny to do wierd stuff. If tranny fluid level is ok and the TPS senser then you might have fried one of the clutches.
I'm hoping a sensor is all it is. I've got it at Aamco right now for diagnostics. If they deem it "rebuild-only" I'm probably going to park the car for a while and get my 240sx going instead. (It only needs a timing kit)

*crosses fingers*

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got the call... :( :( :(

It's dead. They say $1500 to rebuild it... which is insane, if you ask me. I had a 94 Chevy S10 tranny rebuilt for $600.

So... I'm not sure if I'm going to try to do a stick-swap, find a wrecked scort at a junkyard, or just part her out to fund the 240sx project.

*sigh* we'll see.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts