FEOA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just acquired a '93 LX wagon as my commuter car for work. First thing I noticed is the poor brake feel/feedback from the pedal. The car stops but the pedal is low. Pads have plenty of life left in them. I've read alot of people doing the rear disc conversion on their cars but I'm not opting to do it. However, I researched and found out that for '93, there was a FSB(factory service bulletin) on the master cylinder and brake booster. Has anyone (whom still have the rear drums setups) changed these parts and noticed any difference?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, that's somewhat the same response that I got from the person I bought the car off from (he's a friend of mine and was a Mazda tech). Only thing that I didnt bring to his attention was the master cylinder thingy but he told me before that he changed everything on the brakes and still got the same result. Good thing it stops but the pedal feel is just not very reassuring.

·
Registered
15,617 Posts
The 1991-1996 models use crappy Mazda brakes. They are that way from the factory. I bought my 1995 LX new after driving a 1984 GT which had Ford brakes that would stop a truck.

I think of this as one of Mazda'a better ideas or whatever their advertizing slogan was at the time. But its bad by design, nothing you can do to improve it except but the stainless steel brake lines or a really really expensive brake upgrade. GT brakes for 1991-1996 are just as bad a LX brakes.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I've replaced my master cylinder.. no difference. A good bleeding, pedal adjustment and thorough cleaning of the drums got the pedal to where it is now.. firm and stable for the most part, but the brakes aren't exactly powerful and leave a lot to be desired in terms of feedback and consistency.

The pins for the sliding calipers seem to be the biggest culprit on mine. Some rebuilt calipers would go a long way in making the brake feel a little more consistent and the response to come on a little sooner.

SS lines will always help, but there's only so much you can do with the equipment. zzyzzx put it well.

·
Registered
15,617 Posts
I haven't tried them myself, but the Greenstuff brake pads are supposed to be a noticable improvement over stock pads. They cost a whole lot more and wear out quickly. I'd try the SS braided lines before I did this one though.

·
Registered
331 Posts
i will give fords factory caliper setup one commendment they are definetly user friendly... my 5 year old nephew could do em ;-) also autozone sells ceramic composite break pads and you can get some cross drilled rotors at nopi for cheap :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.