FEOA Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While starting from a light, car starts slowly, stumbles and slowly builds up to a "normal" throttle response as rpm's increase. Once up and moving no problem acts like it should thru the gas pedal. Have read a couple of "strings" on simular acceleration problems. The car in question is stock, 1.9l auto setup. I realize that from reading the strings that changing the fuel filter may be one remedy. Anything else, let me know, please! Also is there a procedure for adjusting the accelerator & kickdown cables? I've looked and have'nt seen one in my Haynes or online anywhere.

As always thanks for any help in advance, tracer1

· Registered
925 Posts
Sounds to me like it could be the MAF sensor that needs cleaning, the TPS that is showing the wrong resistance at near closed position or a combo of the two. A fuel filter will not likely help the problem as when you are at cruising speeds, the engine requires more fuel than at idle. If the filter were plugged OR the fuel pump were failing...you would notice the opposite effect.

Are you sure that the car is starting in 1st gear and not in the 2nd gear default mode? Does the car go into overdrive when cruising highway speeds? Do you feel enging braking when the trans is in 3rd gear and you let off the accel pedal? If NOT it is likely the 1-way clutch in the transmission. If you feel engine braking when letting off the gas in third gear it is likely an issue with the valve body.

Go for a test drive and look for the shifting pattern that I mentioned and report back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.