FEOA Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought my battery was dead but I tried removing all the corrosion from the terminals, recharging the battery and even jump starting the car but nothing will make it even attempt to turn over it's just dead silent when I turn the ignition. Any ideas what might be causing this problem? thanks.

·
Super Moderator
6,177 Posts
do the headlights come on?

·
Super Moderator
6,177 Posts
thats what i'm thinking.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The headlights are nice and bright. One strange thing is that the radio shuts off briefly when I turn the ignition. What is this infamous cylinder problem? sounds ominous 8O

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
help

any more info anyone can give me as to where I could find a replacement ignition switch for a reasonable price or any second opinions on whether this is the problem or not thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
6,177 Posts
the radio always turns off when you turn the key to crank the engine.

the ignition switch is on the steering column, opposite where the key goes in. it can be bought from an auto parts store for around $30, or a junkyard for $5 or so.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Or it could be a starter relay or a dead starter solenoid.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pextor said:
the radio always turns off when you turn the key to crank the engine.

the ignition switch is on the steering column, opposite where the key goes in. it can be bought from an auto parts store for around $30, or a junkyard for $5 or so.
so the radio shutting off when I turn the key is an indicator or a bad ignition switch?

What auto parts store do you shop at?

I was quoted 50 for a new ignition switch at auto zone and a couple junk yards tried to sell me a whole new steering column for over 100 and no one had just the ignition switch.

·
Super Moderator
6,177 Posts
the radio turning off when you turn the key is normal, not a sign of a bad switch.

apparently $50 is the going rate for a new switch. For some reason I think the dealership was cheaper though.

if you have any u-pull-it junkyards near your house, that would be the place to get a switch. plus you can learn how it comes apart without destroying your car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok I am having another problem now.

I replaced the ignition switch and the car starts now but it won't stay on.

I had to remove a screw that was in the way to get the old switch out and when I put it back in it knocked a washer loose from somewhere The screw I removed was about 1.5 to 2 inches long and had about a 1/4 inch towards the end that had no threads and was thinner than the rest of the screw. It went through a small rectangular nut that was flap like I don't really know how else to describe it. If I had to guess I would guess it has something to do with the idle. If that description isn't enough I can take some photos.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
6,177 Posts
pictures please.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Worn key cylinder has been my most common reason for not starting, but you might check some easy stuff first.

WARNING....CAR MUST BE IN NEUTRAL OR PARK WITH THE EMERGENCY BRAKE ON.

Remove the solenoid wire from the starter and attach a jumper wire to the positive terminal of the battery. Just touch the wire to the terminal as it will quickly spin the starter...or not.
Rarely will this be a problem, but you will know if the solenoid and starter are the problem.

More rare is the safety switches. Clutch switch on standard cars and a neutral safety switch for automatics. Auto matics will start in park or neutral...have you tried that?

Most common, at least for me is a worn key cylinder that does not allow the key to turn the switch far enough to engage the start circuit.

With over 300,000 miles on a car that I deliver pizza in, I use the key switch about 50 times a day so mine wearing out is expected.

removing the plastic under the steering wheel you will see the switch on the left as a circular black box.

Removing this, you can twist the switch with a screwdriver and I bet it will activate the starter.
This is a clear worn cylinder clue.

A new key switch from Autozone or such may fix it, but I just gave up and installed a pushbutton switch.

Hope this helps!

Bruce

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.