FEOA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So new to the forum, you guys have a lot of things to mod on these cars, so far i have done the exhintake cam swap and yes it works, and i have full 2.5" exhaust with a cherry bomb vortex muffler that sounds great. I have custom painted wheels with fronts at 205/40R17 and rears are 235/45R17 :eek: , the car has a lot of body damage thats slowly getting worked on. Also Ive swapped the front fenders, lights, bumper and hood from a 99 escort SE on to my car. Easy thing to do, just a little body work so the doors dont hit the fenders. Put in a sunroof just for the fun of it. Over winter i'll be rebuilding the motor, body work, paint, turbo kit with a 60 trim, so pretty much the whole ten yards. Heres some recent pics. Enjoy













 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,117 Posts
wow, that's... different but I almost like it! you put a tamp front end on a 2nd gen, interesting, same sub frame so it'll bolt right on cept for what you mentioned the fenders and doors issue. that's cool lol. I know the mazda protege front end will directly bolt onto a 2nd gen escort as well!

good work you know what's up man! welcome!!! feel free to share your mods and there's lots of mods you can learn here like you said. LOTS. I just did the 5th gear swap from a 2nd gen probe and it's a lot nicer on the freeway at just 2500 rpm at 60 instead of 2700 at 60. anyway welcome!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
436 Posts
Well there is something you don't see every day. I don't care for the 3rd gen body but hey its not my car.

Great work you doing there thou. Defiantly keep us posted. So it was ur car that is empty. LOL

You going to do the carbon fiber hood and hatch? There is a post up here for them will have to find it or u can look. Its not that old either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys, i like the front conversion because people double take this car as an SE but its only a 2 door so it gets heads turning

with a stock manifold and stock intake with exhaust its a pretty quick car, raced an 06 civic si with intake, exhaust, headers, and reprogramed ecm and i only lost by maybe a car length

gotta love those bp motors
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,117 Posts
oh dude BP's rock all day long, and bone stock yes they can beat most ricers, I lost to a 4th gen prelude though it had the 2.2 vtec in it and one crazy white girl that refused to lose!!! I went to 90 she went to 110, yeah I like my car being intact thank you very much on a country highway where something could run infront of you. I like living.

yeah I mean I had to do a double take that front end is wickedly creative and it is kinda cool, not exactly my cup of tea to do to my car but I do like it it's DIFFERENT!!! I like different.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Welcome to the forum unseen! Good start off with the car and that front is quite interesting. When I first looked at it I was like "hmmm...wow." lol It's very clean to say the least and I can honestly say I kinda like it too. Keep at it man, and this place is filled with tons of helpful info.

Quick ??? though cause im thinking of doing an exhaust set up here myself. You said you did 2.5", sorry if I sound dumb but is the 2.5" pipe from the manifold back to the muffler with ur regular catalytic converter? I ask cause I want something thats going to help my GT pull better and def sound better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Casanova23 said:
Quick ??? though cause im thinking of doing an exhaust set up here myself. You said you did 2.5", sorry if I sound dumb but is the 2.5" pipe from the manifold back to the muffler with ur regular catalytic converter? I ask cause I want something thats going to help my GT pull better and def sound better.
the pipe is flanged to the bottom of the manifold, with no cat. usually people replace the cat with the universal ones that are located behind the flex pipe somewhere around the back of the motor

if your not worried about smogging it, or have someone who can pass it dont put a cat in, it reduces hp but you lose backpressure. you'll get a popping noise with no backpressure so taking a glasspack and putting it in with the fins catching the air not the air flowing over the fins,
like this ----->) not ------>(

that will give you some back pressure, so if you want a good system put in like 2.25" pipe to a 2.25" flex pipe, 2.25" glasspack, 2.25" cherry bomb vortex muffler, open slant crome tip, this setup is perfect for a n/a car, no popping, hidden, and sounds way different than any other car

we put a cherry bomb vortex in my friends 240sx and it doesnt sound like a ricer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
unseenegt said:
thanks guys, i like the front conversion because people double take this car as an SE but its only a 2 door so it gets heads turning

with a stock manifold and stock intake with exhaust its a pretty quick car, raced an 06 civic si with intake, exhaust, headers, and reprogramed ecm and i only lost by maybe a car length

gotta love those bp motors
No offense, but because i know what a healthy BP will do....

Was the Civic Si driver aware that you guys were racing? You're talking about a low 14s car with the mods you described on that car.

But welcome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
idk about low 14s. Those mods are good for ~25-30 HP. Stock an 07 civic SI will run a 14.8-15 on a quarter

You are talking about a 3000 Lb car and ~200 hp stock
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
thanx unseen for that information, when you mention those glasspacks, are those the same types that are found at Autozone/Advanced. I've seen glasspacks or cherrybombs in them before? I'll prolly have to end up taking it to a muffler place to get it installed but im just trying to get an idea of the parts needed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
DrunkinMist said:
So what does a health stock bp run?
I hear around 16.3 bone stock. Though, I ran one of my old ones a few passes bone stock and was able to get two 15.7s out of her.

a stock EGT still isnt as fast as a civic SI with a few bolt ons or even stock.

MY only point is that they aren't in low 14s with just a couple bolt ons.

I should also point out, that in an 8th mile they would be much closer, but still we are only talking about a second in a quarter, so at 90 that is 132 feet. AKA a few car lengths.

put a bad driver in the civic and that will shrink to a car length in a hurry. I have beat a lot of drivers in faster cars. A missed shift can cost a second easily.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
escortrestorer said:
DrunkinMist said:
So what does a health stock bp run?
I hear around 16.3 bone stock. Though, I ran one of my old ones a few passes bone stock and was able to get two 15.7s out of her.

a stock EGT still isnt as fast as a civic SI with a few bolt ons or even stock.

MY only point is that they aren't in low 14s with just a couple bolt ons.

I should also point out, that in an 8th mile they would be much closer, but still we are only talking about a second in a quarter, so at 90 that is 132 feet. AKA a few car lengths.

put a bad driver in the civic and that will shrink to a car length in a hurry. I have beat a lot of drivers in faster cars. A missed shift can cost a second easily.
Low 14s with full breathing mods and a Hondata reflash? Easily. The K20 will gain over 20whp with just the bolt ons alone, and the reflash can do a TON. Keep in mind it's not just the peak power addition that makes it fast.... it's the lower vtec engagement, and the larger area UNDER the curve.

Semantics will only get you so far. The point remains that no stock Escort GT has any business messing around with a K20 powered Civic. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
crystal said:
escortrestorer said:
DrunkinMist said:
So what does a health stock bp run?
I hear around 16.3 bone stock. Though, I ran one of my old ones a few passes bone stock and was able to get two 15.7s out of her.

a stock EGT still isnt as fast as a civic SI with a few bolt ons or even stock.

MY only point is that they aren't in low 14s with just a couple bolt ons.

I should also point out, that in an 8th mile they would be much closer, but still we are only talking about a second in a quarter, so at 90 that is 132 feet. AKA a few car lengths.

put a bad driver in the civic and that will shrink to a car length in a hurry. I have beat a lot of drivers in faster cars. A missed shift can cost a second easily.
Low 14s with full breathing mods and a Hondata reflash? Easily. The K20 will gain over 20whp with just the bolt ons alone, and the reflash can do a TON. Keep in mind it's not just the peak power addition that makes it fast.... it's the lower vtec engagement, and the larger area UNDER the curve.

Semantics will only get you so far. The point remains that no stock Escort GT has any business messing around with a K20 powered Civic. :p
ok. I dont know what I am talking about. You are right and I am wrong. Is that what you would like to hear? I have been working with these tuners for the last 15 years. I think I have picked up a thing or two. I like escorts, dont mistake me for some newb just because of my join date. I was a member of this forum YEARS ago, however since I didnt log on for so long, my membership was deleted. Furthermore I have earned my living as a mechanic for a great number of years.

I wasnt arguing the fact that a Civic SI can beat an EGT in stock trim. However, add in driver error, inexperienced or bad drivers (something that you find all to often in civics) and you find that they will have very slow quarter miles.

I have beat a Civic SI in my old 98 contour GL with a V6 and a 5 speed. a Civic SI has my GL contour beat by 40 or 50 HP, and has me beat in weight by 300 lbs. Not to mention the civic has the added advantage of an LSD.

All that aside..... I am starting to become curious why you are on this board. So far the only thing I have ever seen you talk about is how great civics are. Not just this post even. Do you have an escort? Are you interested in escorts? Are you just trolling and flamebaiting?

I am not bashing the civic SI. It is a fairly decent car, as far as the current lineup of cars go. It is also faster in stock trim than a ford escort in stock trim.

Oh well, I dont even know what you are arguing with me anyways. Aside from the fact that you think you shave a full second off your quarter with a tune, exhausts and a shortram, and that every civic driver on the face of the planet will have the same quarter mile time.

No matter how much more powerful the car is than an escort in stock trim, it doesnt change the fact that the car is ugly as sin and is primarily driven by wannabe racers who would have a hard time beating a Prius from stoplight to stoplight. This is not semantics. The driver is 90% of the result of a race.

Therefore, my stock Escort GT has plenty of business messing with most Civic SIs out there. You can do all the bench top racing you want, but unless you can back it up behind the wheel, you have nothing to say.

I could probably beat 75% of the civic SIs out there driven by normal drivers with me driving my wifes 4 door dodge neon, and that has an automatic.

Put every bolt on you want in a car, or do anything else you want to a car, it wont make up for a crappy driver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
In this thread... sudden butt-pain?

My original question was whether or not the Civic driver knew there was a race going on.... That's all. Then i backed up with why it shouldn't even be a close race. I'm well aware of driver error.... it's a fact of life. But when i see the majority of people running their 2nd gen EGTs in the mid/high 16s, and people running 2 seconds FASTER in a K20 Civic... that's one HELL of a driver error.

Like... miss a gear. Miss it again. Bounce rev limiter. Miss a gear. Miss it again. And again. Skip a gear, then keep on going.

If i drove my girlfriend's EGT (Crystal), and she drove a new Civic Si, i wouldn't have a hope of beating her, and she's been driving stick for like... 2 months?

Hence why i ask. That's all. You don't have to take it all personal and stuff. I just come from a Honda background, and i'm well aware of what the cars are capable of. We don't need e-peen stroking in this thread, that wasn't my intention.

But hey... i guess the internet is serious business.

(Ciento44)

Holy edit, Batman!

I'm on this forum to talk about how great Civics are? Do tell..... i'm a bit confused. I make two posts about how a K20 Civic > 2nd gen EGT, and all of a sudden i have no usefulness on this board? May want to do a bit more research. I don't and haven't owned a honda for years.

I'm on this board because my girlfriend and i own a 1993 Escort GT. It's her project car. I do the work on it. I also have fairly extensive knowledge when it comes to "tuning" or modifying cars. If you REALLY want to know why i'm here, i suggest you search for posts by "Ciento44." I'm locked out of that account right now for unknown reasons, so i'm taking the liberty of posting on my girlfriends account, and even then, i've done my best to help a few people in the last two days.

You have no place to call me out like that. Any further questions?

But hey, if you want to continue putting words in my mouth, i'll throw it out there that you have no business lining your Escort up against my 1992 Celica with 233k miles on a completely BONE STOCK drivetrain. I'm willing to line up if you want to do an e-call out. Where are you located? It's got a Camry motor, and a weak one at that. You have nothing to be afraid of. You want me to shut up and put myself behind the wheel.... i'm ready.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
.... or lose a second easily by shifting late. Maybe drive it like most kids do their hondas, drop the clutch from like 4k and get a bit of wheelhop and bog it out, keep reving till they bounce it off the rev limiter, grind it into the next gear, miss most of the powerband.

Where are you getting 2 seconds difference in quarter mile time though. An EGT runs a stock quarter in ~16. I have seen them in stock trim run 15.7

Fastest quarter I have seen for the current generation civic SI is 14.8 by the guys at road and track magazine. By my count that is between .9 and 1.5 seconds at the most. Put an average driver in that civic, and I guarantee you that a quarter mile in the 15s or 16s even is an unattainable dream.

Now. As I said. You can do all the bench top racing you want, but until you can back it up behind the wheel of a car, you really have nothing to say do you? As I have said before, I beat cars all the time that are faster than me. Faster by 2, 3, even 4 seconds in a quarter. The driver is 90% of the race. Among professionals, driver error can mean a full second or more. Among amateurs, driver error can be much higher. If you had driven many quarter mile tracks, this would be obvious to you.

I have watched guys lose half a second or more before even leaving the line.

come back in a few years when you know what I am talking about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i think i said i lost by a couple car lengths, the si was quick but i gained pretty good. it was a full 1/4 mile and i shift fast like crazy. if i miss a gear im gonna blow my tranny into pieces

civics run 16's stock, keep in mind alt. and air quality, i live in reno, and i run with out an air filter

but whateves, i can probably take that civic now with the ExhIntake swap, on launches its slow but at high rpms it gains quickly, i'll have some videos up from next weekends street races, i'll be racing a civic coupe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
escortrestorer said:
.... or lose a second easily by shifting late. Maybe drive it like most kids do their hondas, drop the clutch from like 4k and get a bit of wheelhop and bog it out, keep reving till they bounce it off the rev limiter, grind it into the next gear, miss most of the powerband.

Where are you getting 2 seconds difference in quarter mile time though. An EGT runs a stock quarter in ~16. I have seen them in stock trim run 15.7

Fastest quarter I have seen for the current generation civic SI is 14.8 by the guys at road and track magazine. By my count that is between .9 and 1.5 seconds at the most. Put an average driver in that civic, and I guarantee you that a quarter mile in the 15s or 16s even is an unattainable dream.

Now. As I said. You can do all the bench top racing you want, but until you can back it up behind the wheel of a car, you really have nothing to say do you? As I have said before, I beat cars all the time that are faster than me. Faster by 2, 3, even 4 seconds in a quarter. The driver is 90% of the race. Among professionals, driver error can mean a full second or more. Among amateurs, driver error can be much higher. If you had driven many quarter mile tracks, this would be obvious to you.

I have watched guys lose half a second or more before even leaving the line.

come back in a few years when you know what I am talking about.
I'm getting mid high 16s because that's what 95% of the EGTs on this site run. Hell, a couple months ago a member was congratulated on running a 17.8. You tell me what's wrong here.

I don't need to hear from you what i can and can't back up behind the wheel of a car. You're the one in here bench racing about your amazing 14 second or whatever EGT. I'm not. I'm just simply saying, and all i've EVER said is that a new Civic Si w/ bolt ons and a tune is not a CLOSE race WHATSOEVER to a stock EGT. If you can't admit that, then you have some serious problems with delusion that i suggest you have checked out. Why you took this all personal from the get go is beyond me.

I have nothing to prove. I've got enough driving experience to know what i'm capable of, to know what the EGT is capable of, and how consistent i will be at the strip.

You're the one bench racing saying that you can take down a Civic Si. Set it up. If you beat me in a Civic Si, i will personally award you the pink slip to my race car.

Explain to me how you know my experience level? You don't know me. You don't know how often i go, whether it be to watch or drive. You don't know how old i am. You don't know what my driving background is. (I'll give you a hint, i've driven Vipers at Watkins Glen, any further questions?)

I know exactly what you're talking about. You're talking about rhetorical scenarios. You're bench racing. So am i. But it's car vs. car. Let's keep this simple. Any retard can fuck up a race. Doesn't mean the car is slower. You should know this, after all, since you're SO experienced in everything automotive.

Get bent dude. Go troll and be a noob elsewhere.

OP: Sorry this moron had to take offense at an innocent joke that i intially made. I think your car is interesting, and if i had an escort project, i would probably do the same thing just for the "WTF?!?" factor. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
unseenegt said:
i think i said i lost by a couple car lengths, the si was quick but i gained pretty good. it was a full 1/4 mile and i shift fast like crazy. if i miss a gear im gonna blow my tranny into pieces

civics run 16's stock, keep in mind alt. and air quality, i live in reno, and i run with out an air filter

but whateves, i can probably take that civic now with the ExhIntake swap, on launches its slow but at high rpms it gains quickly, i'll have some videos up from next weekends street races, i'll be racing a civic coupe
This WAS a new Civic Si, yes?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
crystal said:
escortrestorer said:
.... or lose a second easily by shifting late. Maybe drive it like most kids do their hondas, drop the clutch from like 4k and get a bit of wheelhop and bog it out, keep reving till they bounce it off the rev limiter, grind it into the next gear, miss most of the powerband.

Where are you getting 2 seconds difference in quarter mile time though. An EGT runs a stock quarter in ~16. I have seen them in stock trim run 15.7

Fastest quarter I have seen for the current generation civic SI is 14.8 by the guys at road and track magazine. By my count that is between .9 and 1.5 seconds at the most. Put an average driver in that civic, and I guarantee you that a quarter mile in the 15s or 16s even is an unattainable dream.

Now. As I said. You can do all the bench top racing you want, but until you can back it up behind the wheel of a car, you really have nothing to say do you? As I have said before, I beat cars all the time that are faster than me. Faster by 2, 3, even 4 seconds in a quarter. The driver is 90% of the race. Among professionals, driver error can mean a full second or more. Among amateurs, driver error can be much higher. If you had driven many quarter mile tracks, this would be obvious to you.

I have watched guys lose half a second or more before even leaving the line.

come back in a few years when you know what I am talking about.
I'm getting mid high 16s because that's what 95% of the EGTs on this site run. Hell, a couple months ago a member was congratulated on running a 17.8. You tell me what's wrong here.

I don't need to hear from you what i can and can't back up behind the wheel of a car. You're the one in here bench racing about your amazing 14 second or whatever EGT. I'm not. I'm just simply saying, and all i've EVER said is that a new Civic Si w/ bolt ons and a tune is not a CLOSE race WHATSOEVER to a stock EGT. If you can't admit that, then you have some serious problems with delusion that i suggest you have checked out. Why you took this all personal from the get go is beyond me.

I have nothing to prove. I've got enough driving experience to know what i'm capable of, to know what the EGT is capable of, and how consistent i will be at the strip.

You're the one bench racing saying that you can take down a Civic Si. Set it up. If you beat me in a Civic Si, i will personally award you the pink slip to my race car.

Explain to me how you know my experience level? You don't know me. You don't know how often i go, whether it be to watch or drive. You don't know how old i am. You don't know what my driving background is. (I'll give you a hint, i've driven Vipers at Watkins Glen, any further questions?)

I know exactly what you're talking about. You're talking about rhetorical scenarios. You're bench racing. So am i. But it's car vs. car. Let's keep this simple. Any retard can **** up a race. Doesn't mean the car is slower. You should know this, after all, since you're SO experienced in everything automotive.

Get bent dude. Go troll and be a noob elsewhere.

OP: Sorry this moron had to take offense at an innocent joke that i intially made. I think your car is interesting, and if i had an escort project, i would probably do the same thing just for the "WTF?!?" factor. :D
1: when did I say a stock EGT was in the 14s

2: I said several times, a stock Civic SI is faster than a stock EGT. If you had the reading comprehension of an adult and werent just getting furious that I wasn't saying that EVERY civic SI driven by EVERY kid on the face of the earth is fast, you would have realized that.

3: I can see your experience level by the way you talk. You're age is showing too. Early 20s at the oldest.

4: you seem to be the one that is getting angry. I merely pointed out that it was entirely possible the other driver was seriously racing. Furthermore, you seemed to miss the part where I said that even if he was only a second behind, that is only a few car lengths. A "Veteran" racer like you should have known that. But meh.

Thank you, goodbye.

This is why I hate dumb kids with hondas. All talk and the moment they feel threatened, they start making stuff up.

btw. Bench racing is comparing car vs car for a result. What I was trying to do was enlighten you as to the fact that in real life, it isnt just car vs car. You felt it was necessary to continually state that a CIVIC SI was faster NO MATTER WHAT than an EGT. Well, I will take that bet. There are at least 3 kids in the college here, and 1 in highschool with newer civic SIs. Out of the bunch of them, I am willing to bet that only maybe one even knows how to shift.

Real world situations are not just car vs car. If you take offense from this fact, then it is obvious to me you are a newb with no experience on a track. Go google some more crap to try and prove otherwise, it wont change anything.
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Top