FEOA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 1 91 EGT with 78000 miles on it. Recently I noticed that while maknig sharp, hard, fast right turns the car seems to miss heavily. It may have been low on gas, and it may do it in left turns, but I havent tried it since filling up and I havent tried doing it turning left. I had just happend to make 3 hard right turns in 2 days with a low tank. I'd come up on a parking lot from a fast road, hit the brakes, turn hard, and get on the gas 1/2 way through the turn, but there was 0 response. I had the gas down, but there was no acceleration and no revving. It feels like it's stalled, but Im not losing electrical power, and the engine is still running. When I straighen out, let off the gas for a split second and get back on it, it is all fine. I should also note that this summer an engine part was broken and not replaced yet as I havent found a replacement. I was told it wouldnt be an issue until winter, so I've taken my time, but I wonder if it may be related to this. Ive heard the part called the low idle step up vale, and idle air control valve, and a few other generic terms. Note that this isn't the Ford engine, rather the Mazda. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Do you have a manual or an auto? I have heard about people having problems in autoXing with hard right turns. The fuel pump apparently can't suck fuel from the tank because all the fuel is sloshing to the left side of the tank.

However, as a test, try taking a slightly less sharp right turn, and keep the throttle plate partially open. I'm thinking that you perhaps are having a little problem with a little part located on the front side of the throttle body that looks like a little tophat and slowly closes the throttle plate when the driver lets off the pedal completely and instantly.

I'm just trying to figure out what your engine rpms are doing when you're taking these turns. Are you double clutching into 2nd before the turn, then braking and accelerating through the turn?

·
Registered
802 Posts
it happened to me as well, goin in 3rd doing around 60KPH and taking a smooth corner, the tires were squeelin like crazy, and i tested and i didnt accelerate into turn, but i acc. out of turn, and i floored it in 3rd commin out and nothing, the RPM's like stalled at 3000 RPM and i kept it pushed, the back end swung into line, than it kicked in. i DID however have a low tank of gas, so i figure the feul pump must be on the passenger side of the tank and can not get any gas till it settles, and even once it settles, it has to run the gas BACK thru the lines.

thats my take on the situation :D..

BTW.. standard

·
Registered
23 Posts
Now that you have over a half tank of gas, you should be fine

2nd gens have a fuel starvation problem with low gas and abrupt changes in direction, if you have uner 1/4 tank and you launch really well, car will prolly starve to

Just the way the fuel pump is in the tank design

Jess I think fixed his prob by getting an aftermarket walbro pump and actually bending the intake a little bit, he no longer has the prob and hes turbo

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
KingPudah1979 said:
Ive heard the part called the low idle step up vale, and idle air control valve, and a few other generic terms.
Idle Air Control (IAC) valve, according to ym Ford manual. Mechanics always want to replace them :roll:

You should be able to clean it. For the Mazda version it's like ~$350, for the Ford engine ~$40.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the help guys! I am actually out of town right now, so I haven't been able to test the low fuel theory, but it sure sounds like you've got it nailed down. I drive the Manual 1/8 DOHC Mazda. I was going about 50mph, and hit the brakes, downshifing to 3rd, then second, then off the brakes in on the gas in second pretty hard. Where is the fuel pump sucking from in the gas tank? I also have an issue with a very erratic fuel guage. It will read full for a long time, then shoot down to 1/2 then quickly to empty when it's not, and then go back and forth until Im really low, when it seems to stay at empty. I've seen this on other fords, particulary an older van, an 80 something Ranger and another EGT.

zzyzzx:

What do you mean about me cleaning the IAC? It seems to be fine, but in the process of replacing an alternator, the stem, or nipple on the bottom snapped off in the hose, and flush from the unit. I have the piece that snapped off, and the unit is still mounted to the engine. I thought that I may be able to glue it using a small pin to hold it in place and very little epoxy on the broken edge, then a lot more around the outer joint where it wont interfere with the airflow or cause the pin to be stuck in place. I then had the thought that this would be a hopeless effort at best... anyone think I can pull it off and have it hold for any reasonable length of time?

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Had the same problem. I figured as well that I should be able to take turns at twice the recommended speed and still have my engine running on exit 8O

This only happened after I changed the fuel pump. So after I put the new one in, I had to rip it out again. I believe it to be the pressure modulator inbetween the fuel pump and the pressue line inside of the tank. When I played around with this, along with an appropriate installation of a zip tie, the problem is no longer present. But now I have minor fuel pressure issues. I believe that it's because the rubber seals on the modulator are old, and can no longer keep the seal under pressure.

Hope that helps :D

Matt 8)

·
Registered
59 Posts
A LOT of protege's have a similar issue. i suffer from the same problem and my fuel pump is centered in the tank It ususally is caused by a low tank of gas and an older fuel pump, and a aged FPR. things slosh around, the pump doesn't pump like it used to, the diaphram in the fPR is fatigued(sp). it is not a big holy shit go to replace my fuel pump problem. it is just a sign of aging. if you want toa void it you could overhaul your fuel delivery system, or just take it easier on the corners and keep the car full of gas. :downtown: (i love this icon)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts