FEOA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'85 1.9L 2bbl. head is cracked, nobody has this head. Could I just use a head from any later model 1st Gen with CFI and install a low pressure electric fuel pump? Will the intake line up correctly?

·
Registered
524 Posts
You checked eBay? Last I looked there were quite a few 1.9 heads done by reputable shops. Most under $200.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
You wouldn't need to install the electric fuel pump unless you wanted too. The heads should from a newer Cfi. Try locating one from an 88.5 to 90. They have roller cams and lifters. Or check the guide to the heads up in the stickies for the different valve sizes you might want. There shouldn't be any issues with the intake or exhaust lining up either.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
The CFI heads will have issues in 2 key areas:
1. The intake won't line up with the CFI head. The HSC (heart chamber) uses the 1.6/1.9HO intake design.
2. The CFI head has no hole for the fuel pump push rod; one would have to be drilled. The bolt holes, however, are tapped, and the gasket surface is ready.
3. The HSC pistons are designed differently than the CFI ones, and you're likely to have clearance issues, and possibly have the piston hit the head. The CFI has 1.9the smaller chamber, that is D shaped, also known as "Leanburn." To my knowledge it would have clearance issues, but it might be worth checking squish areas to be 100% on it.

Personally, if you can't find the head, you might want to go with new pistons/rings that fit a hemi (1.6 and 1.9HO) head since they're much easier to find. The problem with going with a CFI head again would be the intake problem. It just doesn't work unless you switch to a full CFI setup, which would be even harder at this point.

Of course all this depends on the pocketbook thickness, and how much you love the car. If you don't want to fix it, there's sadly the possibility of selling it to a loving home who can take care of the little bugger. Or someone on here (1Low) might have a spare HSC head....I know he has at least 1.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts