FEOA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
5,164 Posts
"Um, yeah, I going to need you to move your desk as far back against the wall as possible, make room for some boxes...mmkay, thanks Milton."
You will need the entire throttle body of an auto BP. It is on the backside of the TB, the other electrical item is the IAC motor. I was unaware they were different. The mounting holes and engagement are different.

· Registered
6,057 Posts
LOWETGT said:
"Um, yeah, I going to need you to move your desk as far back against the wall as possible, make room for some boxes...mmkay, thanks Milton."
i was watchin that movie the other night lol. damn it feels good to be a gangsta hahahaha.

· Registered
1,100 Posts
I paid like 17 for the whole auto TB with the IAC and TPS on it, just cut the coolant hoses off, unbolted, throttle cable off, paid for it.

it's for sure a nice swap gives a little better gas mileage and is easy to do, you can find the 4th wire the LG/R one where the harness Y's, trace from the IAC and TPS wires down the harness it'll get bigger, then trace till the big one hits the firewall and start carefully cutting the tape off and expose and tap into the LG/R wire and it's done, color to color for the 3 wires then run the 4th and done!

· Registered
1,100 Posts
I can find you a auto TB don't worry, one will come in soon enough! 11.50 for a TB here, and a 5 dollar flat rate box should fit it!

· Registered
36 Posts
Man... I wish I had known about this a year ago before I gave my auto TPS to a friend (which he didn't need!). I have the TB, guess I just need to find me a TPS now.

"I'm kinda busy. In fact, look, I'm gonna have to ask you to just go ahead and come back another time. I got a meeting with the Bobs in a couple of minutes." :)

· Registered
1,100 Posts
btw... 4 wire auto TB!

· Registered
587 Posts
I got a question realated to the TB. What exactly a re the coolant lines on the TB for. I know that on my 99 malibu that used to have had them but nothing like the EGT's just 2 hoses that passed through the TB to pre-heat the inlet air. GM installed them on all the malibu's regardless of being up north or in a warmer climate. I removed mine and noticed that there wasn't any lag after driving it awhile. whereas before it would after the engine got warmed up nice and toasty.

would it work the same with the EGT as my malibu. or does it control the idle or something?

· Registered
1,100 Posts
they control how it idles, if you disconnect those TB hoses and loop them it'll idle cold for a long time till it gets warm from the engine heat instead of coolant, that's what the deriveter valve controls, the coolant flow through the IAC/TB, vacuum makes coolant travel through at cruise it doesn't flow if I see how it works correctly since I just had my engine FULLY apart down to the last bolts lol!

· Registered
36 Posts
Just did this over the weekend to my 94. Thanks for the TPS lowetgt! I must say that the ol' butt dyno hasn't noticed much, if any increase in power, but the throttle definitely feels better. Can't wait to see if I get better fuel mileage like I've read too.
Does anyone know if it will take a bit for the ECU to learn how to run on the new TPS? Reason I ask is that there are times when it stalls if I stop at a light. Doesn't do it all the time, but I was wondering if it was due to it only being in there for two days and the car not knowing how to handle it yet.

Thanks!
Shawn

· Registered
1,100 Posts
mine took a few starts to "relean" the sensor being there, but my blue car when I rebuilt the motor and started with the 4 wire on it it stuttered and died every time I slid it outta gear to come to a stop, so I had to adjust the air bypass screw so it wouldn't stinking die on me lol. check your TB air bypass screw, turn it all the way in, and if it dies on you just back it out a bit till it doesn't, now my blue car I'm talking about has a lighter crank in it so it dies REAL easy on down rev so it's very touchy.

you should see 1-2 mpg difference no matter how you drive it, if you drove it hard and got 28 driving it just as hard you should see 30ish.

the 4 wire TPS helps with the "low end loss" with a bigger exhaust too, I didn't have it and if I tried to step in it anything below 2,500 it puttered with the 4 wire it tries to pick up and go instead of falling on its face. all I know is driving with it and with out it, the 4 wire is pretty sweet for a "stock replacement" quick easy install and cheap!

· Registered
36 Posts
I must say, I do like the 4 wire so far. I did the idle adjustment to keep it from dying on me. Adjusted it the same way and man... it sits and purrs beautifully at about 750-800 RPM now when warm. I don't run it hard since it is my daily driver back and forth to work, but 1-2 mpg will end up being a nice reward when i drive nearly 32 miles one way to work everyday.

Overall, I would say this is a great little add on for these cars. Cheap and easy and it DOES make a difference. It may not be a big kick in the pants, but I can definitely say that it jumps up and runs much more quickly and smoother than with the 3 wire.

· Registered
48 Posts
Would you know if the 96 gt came stock with the 4 wire tps. The reason I ask is I was thinking on doing this, but was already done when i went to check the sonnector to see if i had much to do. The guy who had the car before me claims he never did the swap

· Registered
6,057 Posts
u think it might be different sense it's an OBD2 GT which has an MAF and not a VAF. i know that has nothing to do with this but think about it tho. maybe these cars weather or not it's a stick or auto has a 4 wire TPS.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.