FEOA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what the compression is on you stock second gen LX'ers.

Last I checked (July 2004), results were as follows:

DRY
Cyl #1: 145 psi
Cyl #2: 150 psi
Cyl #3: 135 psi
Cyl #4: 145

WET
Cyl #1: not done (bad valve stem seal)
Cyl #2: 175 psi
Cyl #3: 150 psi
Cyl #4: 160 psi

Curiously, I'm not even sure what the spec is when our engines were new.

Post if you care.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
wha? You serious... I recall seeing the GT compression levels in my old Haynes.

Try a Helms then, or walk into a dealership and ask for a repair manual.

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
James:

Q Would I lie to you?

A Yes, but not this time.

The specs don't really matter - it's not like I'm gonna do anything about it. I'm just curious how other LX's are holding up.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've got the haynes manual and the Ford factory manual and neither have that information in them that I can find.

As long as all your cylinders are fairly close, you don't really need to worry that much. Those compression test results don't seem abnormal.

If a cylinder seem low, do the wet test: if your compression increases in the cylinder, worn rings, if there's no increase, check your valve train.

If two adjacent cylinders are low, you've got a blown head gasket, cracked head or block.

If you have abnormally high compression, Don't wet test, you've got carbon buildup in your cylinders.

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks.

I kinda know the diagnosis stuff. I just wanted to see what everybody else has for compression. Just for fun.

I get lots of blow-by, especially in the winter (presumably most of it is when the engine is still cold) yet I don't think my compression is too horrible. I guess that's my real reason for asking.

Numbers, people, numbers.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Mine were between 190-210 wet, can't remember each cylinder. That was burning oil, with a shaved head.

Soo....my numbers aren't very helpful

·
Registered
167 Posts
suppose to be 175-190 on each cylinder, mine with the shaved head it at around 210 i believe... dont remember.. been awhile since i did it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.