FEOA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok first off i put a short shifter from Ebay and the bronze oil bushings from Corksport in my car and i had the problem that alot of people have with the shifter falling threw the floor were u have to put a bolt threw the floor which im not shore if i got it straight tho so it might cause this problem just looking for help, but every since i put the short shifter in and put the bolt threw the floor if im high in the rpms in first and shift to second my gears grind only does this if i am say at 5000rpm or higher. Do you think its caused by the short shifter or by the bottom plate being alittle unaligned?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have no problem putting in my stock shifter back in if its the short shifter causing the problem.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Im not exactly sure what you mean by through the floor.

These G series transmissions dont like to be shifted quickly at high rpms. Plain and simple. I rebuilt the one we got we fresh parts and it still will grind the synchros on the 1-2 shift. Then again, I am hard on cars. :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm talking about the piece the the shifter ball mounts in doesn't stay up any more so u have to drill and put a bolt threw it so it will stay up.. I can go high in the rpm range and push the clutch in for a good 3 secounds and I've done this and counted and it will still grind this didn't start till I installed the short shifter and bolted the plate to the floor which might be crooked. I'm gunna try to just put the stock shifter in and see if that fixes it, does anyone know were u can get new plastic o-rings that go around the shifter ball cause mine are very worn?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
it COULD be you are shifting firmer/faster with the short throw and good shift bushings man. I shortened the throw on my shifter and I ground 2nd more often in my old trans I had in there, now I've got a good trans in it and it only grinds from 1st to 2nd if I rev it out and shift really hard/fast, if I delay a little bit it doesn't grind at all. just a common problem with the BP trans :\ shift a bit softer/easier and it'll be fine unless you're trying to lay down a good 0 to 60 run or a quarter mile.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Even if I shift easy and hold the clutch in for a few secounds it still does it I was gunna try the stock shifter again to see if it fixes it but it rained all day.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
oh wow even with a good pause it still grinds, well all the shifter does is deliver it into gear and a short throw just makes less shifter travel for you inside the car but the job below is all the same man. these darn BP trans though at the higher rpm when the syncros start to wear out it grinds when you make high rpm shifts. I went from using regular ATF to using that pennzoil synchromax and it seems to shift easier and my "new" trans had the 3rd grind and after I switched to synchromax it isn't quite as bad.

but this is just personal experience with my own car yours is different so do what you think is best if you think the stock shifter would be best go for it!

keep em rollin guys!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It didnt do it before the short shifter install .. if the mounting plate where the shifter mounts was crooked and every time i shift to second the shifter lever hits the back of the mount could that be causing this issue?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I doubt that but that is really odd how it started doing it just with the short throw shifter.

even with it hitting the plate it shouldn't cause a grind, when you unhook the shifter from the trans your stick can spin around anywhere so there's no guides in there to make sure it hits the right gear it's all in the trans you know? not sure how to explain it fully. shifter is just your way of changing gears if it's long sort crooked anything if you can use it the trans will work. I made my own short throw shifter I cut the ball out of my stock one and flipped it so the longer part was on the bottom and put some bolts in it and welded the snot outta it, now I got one mean short throw that's angled back and to my leg instead of the passenger knee knocker.

the only thing I can think of the shifter hitting the back of the mount is it isn't fully engaging in 2nd gear that would cause a grind because the gears aren't meshed together all the way. also a good way to strip gears ha ha.

what I would do at this point is when you get the time put your stock shifter back in and see what happens man. also check your fluid level in the trans make sure that's all good, and if the fluid is dirty change it, clean fluid will keep the trans happy!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
think you might be right it might not be engaging 2nd all the wayif it's hitting the plate I'll have to unbol it and try to mount it so no gear hit the plate.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fixed the problem it was 2nd gear not completely engaging it was the mounting plate the bottom of were the shifter goes into the lip on the bottom was bent up and preventing the shifter from completely going down all the way and when i shifted into second the shift lever below the ball would hit the mounting plate .. i bent it straight pushed the shifter completely in and shift perfect now.. Thanks for every ones help so i didn't ruin my transmission by grinding gears.. for anyone who doesn't have them i highly recommend getting Bronze Oil Bushings from Corksport .. Thanks again!!! :D

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
:thumleft:

good job man awesome you got it fixed! yeah 2nd get not fully engaging would definitely grind it!

glad you were able to figure it out with out hurting your car but just a few grinds. good! peace man!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts