FEOA Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i got a 93lx wagon w/ a 1.9 A/T. 3 days ago this car started making the most messed up noise i've ever heard comin from a car. it makes a horrible grinding (not quite grinding, but i know it's not in the tranny cause it still makes the noise in nuetral) noise every time the engine gets up 2 any decent rpm(sometimes even if i'm accelerating a little bit), & if i'm @ highway speeds (65-70) & let off the gas, even in overdrive, it makes this horrible noise that's similar, but different. idk what this is, & i know it'll b really hard 2 diagnose w/ just what i'm telling u now, but just shoot any suggestions my way, ANY help, much appreciated. & the faster the better, it's a scary (& loud noise, it can b heard @ least 2 blocks away 8O )thing, & it's goin in the shop soon, but if i can help it i'd rather do it myself & not get ripped off. thanks

·
Registered
712 Posts
I still think it's your transmission. Even in neutral, if you've got debris in there, it'll make noise. Mine made a whirring sound almost like a washing machine during spin cycle. Drove it that way for over a month before it finally popped in a parking lot.

Alternately, check to see that there isn't anything foreign floating around in your crankcase cover, bumping around the camshaft. Might not affect performance of your car, but would make one hell of a racket. You can easily check this by removing the valve cover and looking around.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks 4 all the suggestions. i don't really think it's the exhaust, but i'll give it a look anyway. it's possible it might b the tranny, but what in the tranny could break off & make such an awuful noise & not affect how the transmision works? i'm thinking it might b sumthing floating around in the crankcase, cause about a month ago my dad snapped off the middle valve cover bolt (he replaced a gasket, & when he put the cover back on 4 months ago he only torqued it 2 15lbs, but when he found out it shoulda been 50, the middle snapped @ 25, but the rest got 2 the proper 50). he says it isn't this, but he doesn't know, he hasn't even heard the noise or been near the car since it's been makin this noise. he's convinced it's got sumthin 2 do w/ compression (although i think he just wants an excuse 2 use his new compresion tester :roll: ). o well, thanks 4 all the help, & keep the suggestions comin

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Try checking your idler pulley as well as all the pulleys along the belt train. Could very well be a bearing going out somewhere :wink:

Matt 8)

·
Registered
15,617 Posts
monkeyboy383 said:
thanks 4 all the suggestions. i don't really think it's the exhaust, but i'll give it a look anyway. it's possible it might b the tranny, but what in the tranny could break off & make such an awuful noise & not affect how the transmision works?
The heat shields would do this. I thought it was my transmission until I realized that I was hearing the exact same sound coming from a wide variety of cars (various makes and models). Then I assumed it must be something that all these vehicles had in common, then went straight to the heat shields and 3 out of 4 were loose.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well guys, i know what it is (mostly). it's the timing belt, the gears, & the tensioner (basically the entire pulley assembly). that & there's a problem w/ the head (the exhaust valve in #4 is burnt & there's a valve guide problem or sumthin). so, we're most likely getting a new car (94lx wagon, we luv scorts), so i wanna just save the time & put in a new engine, so take a look please take a look @ my other thread, i'll really appreciate it http://www.feoa.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5030

thanks 4 all ur help

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
i had the same or similar thing happen.
is the noise coming from anywhere under the car? or somewhere in the engine compartment?
because it could be a vibrating like what everyone else said: could be the heat shield, could be the mounts (anything thats mounted), could be the belts, could be just the cold weather.
whatever you do, dont take it to a dealer if you plan to have someone look at it, and get as many 2nd opinions as you can. whne it comes to transmission work, you dont want to buyt a new tranny and find that you didnt even need one in the first place.
good luck!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I did have a similar noise problem once. It turned out to be nothing more than a screw that had been left off and was rattling around, following work on the gear box. It made an horrendous noise, so much so that people in the street were turning round and staring ... very embarrassing, but not difficult to put right. Good luck, I hope your problem is as easily solved.

Penny

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.