FEOA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Super Moderator
6,216 Posts
timing belt is good yet?

can you do key on engine off OBD2 test at all?

· Super Moderator
6,216 Posts
did you check codes?

· Super Moderator
6,216 Posts
that wouldn't be my first guess, but running codes will hopefully tell you something.

· Registered
492 Posts
Pull the crank sensor and check it for damage. With the key on, check the center wire going to the coil pack for battery voltage.

· Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ZX2Fast said:
Pull the crank sensor and check it for damage. With the key on, check the center wire going to the coil pack for battery voltage.
i bought a new crank sensor and the middle wire that goes to coil pack has power when the key is on but the other 2 have none i think they should pulse when tring to start but it thy dont have and power. i hooked up dia machine and came up no data it would not read the car. it just may be the comp

· Registered
492 Posts
The other two wires are trigger wires. You would have to check them with a voltmeter on the 'AC' scale. Depending on the polarity of the probes, the voltage will go up or down when the engine speed increases/decreases.

Did you replace the old CPS because it was busted or just because there was no spark? The injectors supposedly fire from the signal the PCM gets from the cam sensor. That shouldn't prevent spark, though. Have you checked all of the fuses in the cabin and under the hood? I don't have my wire book un-packed yet so I can't tell you what fuse to look for.

Also, I've seen an issue like this when the PCM doesn't get power. Does your 'SES' light flash once then stay on when you turn the key to 'run'? The PCM power relay is in the CCRM. The relay grounds are the most common cause of a no power to PCM issue. This is because that little ground box on the negative terminal is sensitive. Make sure the connection on this little box is clean and tight.

· Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ZX2Fast said:
The other two wires are trigger wires. You would have to check them with a voltmeter on the 'AC' scale. Depending on the polarity of the probes, the voltage will go up or down when the engine speed increases/decreases.

Did you replace the old CPS because it was busted or just because there was no spark? The injectors supposedly fire from the signal the PCM gets from the cam sensor. That shouldn't prevent spark, though. Have you checked all of the fuses in the cabin and under the hood? I don't have my wire book un-packed yet so I can't tell you what fuse to look for.

Also, I've seen an issue like this when the PCM doesn't get power. Does your 'SES' light flash once then stay on when you turn the key to 'run'? The PCM power relay is in the CCRM. The relay grounds are the most common cause of a no power to PCM issue. This is because that little ground box on the negative terminal is sensitive. Make sure the connection on this little box is clean and tight.
i replaced the old crank sensor cause it tested bad i checked all the fuses in the cabin and under the hood. the SES light used to be on before i lost spark now it dont even light up when turn key on like it used to. the connection on that little box is clean. this car is a dirt track car with no windows and it got rained on real bad night before this happened and has been rained on many times before and had no problem but i have had this car for 2years as a dirt track race car so i already ordered the new comp only 75 bucks prob wouldnt be a bad investment with how much water gets on it from washing the car rain and snow..lol. it gets abused i know..lol. ill let u know when i get the new comp is there any fuse links between comp and components that would cause this prob thanx alot iil let u know how it goes soon

· Registered
492 Posts
It sounds like either the PCM is bad, the wiring to the PCM is bad, or the realy in the CCRM is bad. If the car still doesn't work after you put the new PCM in, let me know and I'll dig out my book and let you know what wires to test for PCM power and relay operation.

· Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ZX2Fast said:
It sounds like either the PCM is bad, the wiring to the PCM is bad, or the realy in the CCRM is bad. If the car still doesn't work after you put the new PCM in, let me know and I'll dig out my book and let you know what wires to test for PCM power and relay operation.
ok thanks alot ill let u know after i get it its in the mail

· Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok guys hopefully you can help a brother out iv tried everything i can think of i can fix mechanical parts on anything but i get lost when it comes to wiring. my cars motor is pretty much. dead fuel pump wont kick on no spark at all!! fuses under dash for fuel injection was blown replaced it still no results found redid main ground it still no results bought new comp, crank sensor, cam senson and coil pack i have power to the coil pack when key is on and its the middle wire that goes to the coil pack but alot of stuff is dead no juice so i think i got a hell of an issue im about to take it to the shop i spent over 200 already and no results so if ya got any ideas let me know please.....Billl

· Registered
1998 ZX2
10,101 Posts
Could be a bad ECU.

· Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
madmatt2024 said:
Could be a bad ECU.
would a bad ecu cut everything off that goes to motor? and engine light because it used to be on cause all the stuff i disconnected that i didnt need cause its a dirt track car but but the light used to come on when key was first turned to on position now it wont light up at all so if i can figure that out maybe the problem will be fixed

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.