FEOA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know *I* needed it.

I was at the store today and I started to look around and think about how i stripped my freakin strut tower nut...

I spent $10 on the 11 piece metric set, and $4 on the 5 pc standard set.

Finally I got my own tools. (some of them) :D

In the future I plan on getting a timing light and a torque wrench, along with my own set of wratchet wrenches (got enough sockets).

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
allright james.......Like my father always said "Cant do the right job without the right tools"

He says alot of stuff but that pertained to this post....one thing he did say Tonight that doesnt pertain to this post is "your grounded for two days" :?

·
Registered
84 Posts
kewl deal... always nice to have your own set of tools. but, if I might offer a suggestion: Spend the few extra bucks or scrounge around at garage/yard sales, and pick up a set of Craftsman (from Sears) wrenches and/or sockets. Why? -- because they are LIFETIME guaranteed!! It doesn't matter what you do to them, or how you do it -- if the tool (wrench or whatever) is broken in any way, Sears will replace it with a brand new one, free of charge.

I just bought a set of Craftsman metric wrenches (open/box combo, similar to the set you have in your picture) for the car... I think it was around $15.00-$20.00 or so.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Nothing feels as good as having your own tools. You can attempt to compensate for shortcomings with fast, beautiful cars.. or you can actually make up for shortcomings by buying the right tools.

Be careful though, James... tool buying can be addictive.. you must find balance between tools and personal funds :wink: Before you know it you'll find yourself justifying the purchase of a chainsaw with matching case, gloves, spare chain, a gallon of chain lube oil and nifty goggles because one limb happened to fall into your yard after a particularly bad wind storm... don't ask me how I know.

Hey.. at least I can say I have a chainsaw :D (I've come full circle and am now compensating with tools :oops: )

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
zzyzzx said:
I agree. Cheap tools from China are nothing but trouble. Go for the Craftsman and you can keep them forever.
They're drop forged carbon steel, and since the US uses the same manufacturing process, I'm willing to bet they're just as strong as "craftman"

Besides I found this same set at Sears for 60 bucks. I didn't want to pay 60 freakin dollars for the name on the 11 metric wrenches... when I can get the same tools for 10.

Buying for the name sucks.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
The auto shop where I used to work used only craftsmen wrenches... and they weren't the cheap ones in hardware stores, they were those high end like 20,000 dollar set ones. Tough as all hell. The only thing worse than stripping a bolt is stripping a socket. I had to use a chineese tool set one night and I literally broke the handle clean off the ratchet wrench, no joke. It was funny and sad at the same time. My dad was like... whoa :)

Ah that thing was a piece of crap though. I've found the best way to get good tools is to find other places with good tools. A local campus auto club may have them, and that's what I did. Every tool you could want at your disposal. It kicked butt- I could get a job that before took me 4 hours done in about 40 minutes. Good tools are definetly a plus.

congrats on the purchase james!

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
James92Scort said:
zzyzzx said:
I agree. Cheap tools from China are nothing but trouble. Go for the Craftsman and you can keep them forever.
They're drop forged carbon steel, and since the US uses the same manufacturing process, I'm willing to bet they're just as strong as "craftman"

Besides I found this same set at Sears for 60 bucks. I didn't want to pay 60 freakin dollars for the name on the 11 metric wrenches... when I can get the same tools for 10.

Sure they're all drop forged, but the quality of the output equals the quality of the input. That area of asia, where the chinese are most likely getting their steel from, is know for having very cheap, (more likely than not) lower quality steel. I'm by no means saying that all chinese made tools are bad, I've seen a lot of them last more than a lifetime. But it's definately a higher likely hood today that you'll get a piece of junk compared to north american made tools.

BTW, all steels contain carbon no matter what the grade.

Of course the easiest way is to buy everything from Snap-on 8O

Suddenly my wallet is happy that I buy either mastercraft of craftsman tools :roll:

Matt 8)

·
Registered
15,583 Posts
James92Scort said:
zzyzzx said:

This has got to be the most ignorant thing I have read on the internet for some time! I once had a made in Taiwan tool set (~20 years ago). When my house was burglarized I was happy that they were gone!

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fixitmattman said:
James92Scort said:
zzyzzx said:

Sure they're all drop forged, but the quality of the output equals the quality of the input. That area of asia, where the chinese are most likely getting their steel from, is know for having very cheap, (more likely than not) lower quality steel. I'm by no means saying that all chinese made tools are bad, I've seen a lot of them last more than a lifetime. But it's definately a higher likely hood today that you'll get a piece of junk compared to north american made tools.

BTW, all steels contain carbon no matter what the grade.

Of course the easiest way is to buy everything from Snap-on 8O

Suddenly my wallet is happy that I buy either mastercraft of craftsman tools :roll:

Matt 8)
Steel is steel! The only difference in ANY steel is how it's made. Iron is mixed with nickel I think it is. Being forged means it's cut out of one piece of metal, making it stronger, then when you heat treat steel, carbon gets in between the iron molecules, then when you cool it the carbon is forever stuck in it. That makes it much much stronger.

Besides I don't physically have the power to snap one of these bad boys when pulling on it, so I think I'll be alright.

·
Registered
110 Posts

gotta agree with the other guys. Gotta go with craftsman. I've had luck with Snap-on too, but just those two, the rest are simply crap. I can't count the number of foreign-made sockets i've stripped, ratchets i've broken, i've even split the end of a screwdriver lengthwise :), etc. etc. BTW, all tools that have belonged to friends of mine while i was working on something of theirs. Now they use craftsman.

Chris

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Being a mechanic and a tool nut..I have owned several kinds of tools over the years....yes I have become a tool snob if you will.....I own almost nothing but Snap-on, Craftsman and Cornwell....but to be perfectly honest...most tool brands that offer a lifetime warranty will be suitable for the home Diy'er...for several reasons I can think of

1. Price: How many here would pay $89.00 for a 9 piece screwdriver set?

2. Availiability: Tool Dealers(Snap-on and such) are not there just anytime of the week, my dealer comes by once a week, although this is easier than going to Sears as he comes to my workplace, not everybody works in a place where this is an option.

3. Use: Where I use my tools daily to earn a living, most Diy'ers are not going to put the tools through the same amount and kind of use that most mechanics do.

Now, this post is not here to downplay anybody who is not a mechanic. I am putting my opinion in just for that "my opinion".

btw, for the original topic: Congrats James on getting some tools.
:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
160 Posts
The thing that makes Craftsman attractive to me is the return policy on their tools. Hell, you can find a broken, 25 year old tool in the street, take it to Sears and get a brand new piece free of charge no questions asked. They dont even care what you did to break the tool.
Ive got plenty of Snap-On tools as well, but for the price I paid for them Id have to say stay away unless your going to be making a living with them. Who knows when youll see the snapon guy next; they just arent as easy to find as a Sears.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
The only issues I've run into with some off-brand tools is that they don't match the measurements as well as some of the more expensive brands... so there's a little more slack between the wrench and the nut. I believe most of the more expensive wrenches and sockets will be machined to spec (I know my Craftsman stuff is), whereas the cheaper stuff is usually pulled right out of the mold/forge and maybe polished up a little, but very rarely machined. It's not a big deal unless you happen to get some of those super cheapies that like to round off nuts :x

Forging doesn't mean it's from a single piece of metal, that's 'billet' you're thinking of. Forging just means that it's been shaped through hammer blows or from being pressed into shape. The grain in a forged wrench will wrap around the box end making it equally strong on all sides. The grain in a stamped billet wrench (I don't know if anyone makes those) it would have all the grain pointing in one direction, so it would have some seriously weak spots around the box end. A cast wrench (some of the dirt cheap wrenches out there) will have no real grain to speak of, the molecules will be jumbled up and make for a fairly weak wrench.

I believe you can forge both cast and billet stock to get similar results (someone please correct me if I'm wrong.. I'm no metalurgist).

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I'll have to agree on this one. I recently started buying craftsman parts. I am very happy with them. Not a single issue. I had a pretty nice set from Husky....the home depot brand. It was a very good quality set. Any way some jack ass brake into my car and took off with it. So my amazing wife (man that is still weird to say!) went the same day and got me a cosco set. You know what of those whole house sets. Its all we could afford at the time. It was usefull but the socket wrench alway bugged me. So I finally went to sears and got a 3/8" drive with 6 or 8 sockets for like $25 bucks. Let me tell you that socket wrench is night and day quality compared to the other one. I will stick to sears from now on. Unless I get snapon to come around the (future) shop. But then they are so darn expensive it just might be worth a weekly trip to sears.

Craftsman is a little pricey. However you feel really good knowing you will have the tools for life...unless some prick steals them. I've seen several people bring in a broket socket wrench. They replaced it no questions asked. I know lows and home depot all have lifetime warrentys on their stuff as well. I had good experience with the home depot stuff. I'm not sure what their return policy is like though. Being able to take it to the nearest sears and swap it right give you a nice warm fuzzy feeling that you don't get from most lifetime warrenty.

so yeah in closing congrats on the new tools. It will be a never ending battle. Trust me no matter how many you have... someone else has the tool you needed but didn't have and that will eat at you like nothing else!

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
James92Scort said:
Steel is steel! The only difference in ANY steel is how it's made. Iron is mixed with nickel I think it is. Being forged means it's cut out of one piece of metal, making it stronger, then when you heat treat steel, carbon gets in between the iron molecules, then when you cool it the carbon is forever stuck in it. That makes it much much stronger.
Um.... No. (I'm not trying to be a jerk..... it just naturally happens :? )

Steel is not steel. There is a big difference between the carbon content of steels. Then its alloyed with a number of different materials depending on the grade, molybdenum, nickel, brass, copper, chromium, just off the top of my head. HUGE material property changes occur with carbon content and alloying agents. This is more complex and detailed than most people think. I don't even want to try and explain this.

Bottom line, think of a black smith making a horse shoe. That's forging at probably it's most basic level. Beating the crap out of the part to obtain it's shape.

Heat treating the steel adds even more complexity to it. Most people think that when you heat treat, you add carbon heat it up and it gets harder. Mostly, yes. Many heat treating processes do not require carbon at all. Some heat treating processes actually make the steel softer.

I'm gonna give up here, and hope that no-one asks any questions.

God I'm a nerd :roll:

Matt 8)

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I did it again. damn payday!!!

I wanted to get either a radar detector, or a dremel tool tonight so I decided on the dremel because it was cheaper and has 10 times more use to me at this point.

Here's a pic of it after we left meijer with it:

Fully taken out of the box:

This thing cost me $80 USD but came with everything in that pic. Two attachments, 77 accessories, 10 speeds, up to 35,000 rpm. :D

I can't wait to get to grinding the rust off my car. This thing will be sooooo useful, and now I have my own so I don't have to worry about borrowing my dads or brothers. 8)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.