FEOA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy an SPI this fall. Then over the winter rebuild, port, polish, buy and install all new high performance accessories, etc, etc... Maybe even turbo the damn thing. Then I want to pick up a second gen next spring with a good body/interior, replace/upgrade entire suspension, drop the SPI in (with a good manual tranny) and start the aesthetic customizations...

MY QUESTIONS...

-Exactly which engine would be best suited for high performance

-what advice/recommendations would anyone have for getting the best performance outa this project

-Dream big with me here! This will be my baby, and nothing, I repeat NOTHING is too good for my baby(I might even decide to do a frame off job if I can get laid off come January...)

Any ideas will be considered!

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
8,421 Posts
orkinmann said:
I want to buy an SPI this fall. Then over the winter rebuild, port, polish, buy and install all new high performance accessories, etc, etc... Maybe even turbo the damn thing. Then I want to pick up a second gen next spring with a good body/interior, replace/upgrade entire suspension, drop the SPI in (with a good manual tranny) and start the aesthetic customizations...

MY QUESTIONS...

-Exactly which engine would be best suited for high performance

-what advice/recommendations would anyone have for getting the best performance outa this project

-Dream big with me here! This will be my baby, and nothing, I repeat NOTHING is too good for my baby(I might even decide to do a frame off job if I can get laid off come January...)

Any ideas will be considered!

Thank you!
Well, cant really do a frame-off resto since there is no frame (unibody)

My advice is to just jump right into a turbo charger.
I dont know how many times I've seen people spend $1000 for head work, cam's and what not and hardly put down any power.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I agree with Jeff, the NA build of the 1.9 and 2.0 motor is pointless when it comes to real power. The turbo alone will get you what you want as far as dollar per horsepower goes. If you are goin to stick with the 2nd gen body. (People are going to get me for this) the best motor for power would have to be the 1.8. :eek: Dont get me wrong the 1.9 and 2.0 can be built for power Jeff, racetracer, myself, and many others have done but to actually get that power comes with some fab work and money. Atleast with the 1.8 you can get off the shelf parts without the fab work. but if you want to be different then stick with the CVH

·
Registered
38 Posts
turbo is the way to go. im just starting to put some work into my 2002 es with the 2.0 SPI eng. the thing with turbos though, is if you wanna run more than say 8 lbs of boost i would start thinking about beefing up the internals on that engine. my plan is to start off with a t3/t4 hybrid turbo and run about 6 lbs boost until i can afford to throw in the new rods and pistons to handle the stress of higher boost. this comes from failed extperience when i decided i wanted to run 10 lbs boost on my 240sx with the stock 2.4 SOHC motor. needless to say i no longer have a 2.4 in there. just make sure you open up both ends of that things breathing tubes and the turbo with some high flow injectors and fuel pump will work wonders

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
way to bring back a dead thread bro. lol.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
somethin tells me he ran completly stock

·
Registered
38 Posts
in my defense i was half asleep and didnt notice the thread date lmao. :roll: as for the 240.. yeah i was runnin stock internals on a 3.0 twin turbo from a 96 300zx. had upgraded to a pair of HKS turbos but i forget the specs. the boost was finbe but the 150shot of nitrous and my lead foot killed it. before that setup i was running the original KA24E which is a 2.4L SOHC but i turbo'd it as well. the cause of the VG30 fail was a combination of low octane fuel, boost, and nitrous and my unwillingness to get out of the throttle in a race. busted holes through 2 pistons and spun a main bearing :( guess i should have at least filled up on 92 octane before i went out :oops:

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
when i said completly stock, not only did i mean internals, but i was also refering to the fuel system and ignition timing

·
Registered
38 Posts
venom injectors, fuel rails, high flow pump. i was in the first stages of mods on it all and i hadnt done in tuning as far as timing. live and learn i guess

·
Registered
38 Posts
i said i had NOT done any tuning. i cant remember the injector size its been a long time. im just getting back into the mod scene after a few years. ive been too busy doin the mundane repair jobs to get anywhere with my own stuff

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
stock fuel and stock ignition timing is why it blew up. u can not just throw on a turbo with upgraded internals and expect power gains without tuning. changing the internals can help with power, but not the ignition and fuel supply it needs for boost. also, jeff has been using stock internals runnin high boost levels with proper tuning for many many years. check his cardomain for info.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It may have been a dead post but...

I'm still paying attention... Didn't catch a layoff... in fact I won't get one for another 3 yrs and 4 mo... once I get my journeymen's card I might get one, till then I'm cheap labor. Still gathering ideas for my dreams, as for the cost of any CNC work, I get a LARGE discount because of all the work my company funnels through a few of the local CNC shops around town, and this is a project that I want to start with a used block, clean it up, use all new parts, and do EVERYTHING that can be done to it, and use the best of EVERYTHING to put on/into it... basicaly, I want an engine that is completly maxed out with what can be done.

-Mikey

1 - 18 of 18 Posts