FEOA Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Ive got a 98 Tracer 2.0 SOHC. What DOHC engines would be feasible for a swap? Wondering also what other motors will bolt on. Ive heard some Mazdas will but am not sure. Also heard a taurus might.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
The ZX2 Zetec DOHC would be about your only choice of motor... unless you like doing things the very hard way.

but why? the SOHC SPI has tons of potential just waiting to be unlocked.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
headwork and a performance cam on the SPI will get you to 140-150hp easily.. that kind of power in a 2300lb sedan would be sick.

·
Registered
22 Posts
yeah the thing most people don't realize is that our block is built to support very high compression...which is why it is mind boggling that no one has started manufacturing a turbo for it yet...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well if anyone has the contacts and can get enough people to show an interest(show them the $) A turbo (or supercharger) kit would be made available. Most companies only require 10 people and a deposit along with a test mule. So if anyone has the resources to do it you should. I don't so I can't.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx

Thanx guys. Decided to stay with the SOHC and heres what im hoping to do. First im gonna play witht he intake/exhaust system. Gotta get it breathing at its best right? Also gonna look into the fuel managment and see what I can do with the fuel system. When thats all done Im thinking about a slight weight reduction (who needs a back seat?) and then finally when im happy witht hat its time to upgrade the cams. Should add some pep.

·
Premium Member
8,421 Posts
marclar said:
it has been proven..... if you build an spi and a zetech to the same specs and put 15 psi into them, the spi will make more power than the zetec.CVH BABY!!
Where did you hear that?
What ever one has better head flow will make more power wth less boost.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
marclar said:
it has been proven..... if you build an spi and a zetech to the same specs and put 15 psi into them, the spi will make more power than the zetec.CVH BABY!!
If you put 15 psi into either the spi or zetec you're gonna put a rod through the block.

·
Premium Member
8,139 Posts
James92Scort said:
marclar said:
If you put 15 psi into either the spi or zetec you're gonna put a rod through the block.
yes it will blow if stock. but he clearly states "if you build" its almost like you want people to argue with you at time james. you even quote him so its liek look im making fun of you errrrr... myself now i guess.

NEUMAN

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
So your telling me built motors never blow? is that what you're saying? and you're trying to make ME look like a fool here? Christ man, I thought you had more sense than that. :roll:

Simply building the motor, slapping a turbo on and cranking the boost to 15 psi doesn't mean it won't blow, that is what I was getting at. My apologies for not knowing what type of "build" he was refering to. Most people on this board think that a build is getting a PnP, an exhaust system and a turbo, then they call it a day. Throwing in new rods/pistons on a bored/resleeved block means nothing if it isn't tuned out the ying yang.

Perhaps it's because it hasn't been done yet, but I don't think an SPI will handle 15 psi without a complete overhaul... which again, most people on this board wouldn't think of doing because of the cost factor.

If you build the two motors with the exact same specs and put the same turbo on them at the same psi, i highly doubt one will out perform the other by a whole lot. the DOHC motor might flow better for a small increase in the upper rpm range, but the SOHC motor will shine in low end torque production.

On to your foolishness neuspeed, I quoted because I didn't feel like scrolling down to the reply box. I'm lazy, what can I say? I didn't make you argue with me, you did that on your own time. So... please excuse me, ye royal master of all knowledge. When's erdt gonna be back so you can stop trying to be a hard ass on this board?

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
and you know what just occurred to me. this is a swap question, but somehow it got turned into an engine building thread.

Which means its in the wrong forum.

·
Registered
86 Posts
he has a point

I think James is right and all this is starting to get off topic but I would like to add that any street car on 15 psi of boost is asking for trouble. Yes it can and has been done to many types and sizes of engines, import and domestic. But, these engines don't last very long and are being wrenched on more than driven. If you want a race car and can afford new engines all the time go for it but if you want something you can depend on keep the boost low and build and tune the engine to take advantage of the low boost. After all it's no fun to have more power than the ricer next to you only to blow all your gaskets or worse because you got carried away with your frankenstein creation. Now on to better and more important subjects please and lets end this bickering.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts