FEOA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that all head gaskets are the same for the 1.6, 1.9 1st and 2nd gen and 2.0 SOHC. Can any one back this up?
I have heard of ppl wanting to put a 1.9 head on a 2.0 block to make a high compression motor, but the vales and pistons could meet each other and not get a long. :cry:
But, can a 2.0 SPI head be put on a 1.9 block making a low compression combination for forced induction? The valve's should have room to spare.
This would be a great combination for some one with a second gen that wants to turbo on a budget. :idea:
You can have the advantage of the 2.0 larger valves and intake mani, and have lower compression :D

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hey Jeff, I am looking in to that same thing, putting a 2.0L SPI head on to a 1.9L, I have been calling around to j/y's, there not easy to find up here. I found one at a yard for 150 bucks. Too much for my blood. But I will keep looking. I want to do the swap, but some people are saying that the valve clearnce will not work. They say that the valves hen open, the pistons will hit them. I am going to go to a j/y and olt on the 2.0L head to check the clearence, before I put it on my car.

Justin GT :twisted:

·
Premium Member
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess the 2.0 head is taller so we would have to use a 2.0 timming belt.
But if using a 1.9 head on a 2.0 block is not anuff clearance than a 2.0 head on a 1.9 block sould be more than enuff :?:
150 bucks is not a bad deal for good head :roll:

·
Registered
49 Posts
i'd have the same worries with larger valves... I have been looking into buying a 2-g to spi like you did, Jeff.. and was contemplating just a head swap... since i plan to turbo... I guess i'll find out first of next year.. if none else does first... and for good head :roll: try car-part.com

·
Registered
874 Posts
A little info on CVH motors, aka 1.6-1.9-2.0 SOHC engines. All of these engines are from the same basic family know as CVH or Canted Valve Hemispherical combustion chamber, or something to that affect. Also know as Hemi's. The bolt paterns on the heads should all be the same as far as I know, but the Biggest difference is in the shape of the Combustion chamber and piston shape. The 2g 1.9 had D shaped chambers with smaller 1.534/1.338in in/ex valves, and flat pistons. The 1g 1.9 was the same except in the case of the H.O. GT motor. They had O shaped combustion chambers and domed pistons with bigger 1.652/1.459in in/ex valves. I'm pretty sure the SPI engin has the D shaped chambers, but with 1.738/1.456in in/ex valves. The bigest difference between the 2.0 and the 1.9 is the intake side of the head. the 2.0 has two intake ports per cylinder. other than that I believe the dementions are the same. Your best bet in my opinion would be to get the head and intake from a 1g GT, and use the stock, or stock type flat pistons from the 2g LX to reduce your compression ratio. Either that or have the 2g LX head machined to accept the 1g valves, and make the chambers O shaped.

·
Registered
49 Posts
you would have to use the spi intake manifold.. most definetly .. still my only worry would be the larger valves on the SPI head. only problem using the HO head is the lack of a cam position sensor.. it's been tried.. on a SPI, but SPI on an LX ha not yet.. as far as i know...

·
Premium Member
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why are you so worried about the valves being bigger, there bigger in daiº. I dont think there pushed any farther down. So there should be no worry about valves and pistons colliding.??
Now keep in mind I have to do this on a budget, no machine shop work allowed.
I know for a fact the the SPI has no problems working with a second gen wiring harness, computer, sensor's, fuel injection...ect.
But I don't think it has been proven that a 1.9 HO head or motor can easly be made to work in a second gen. One main differnce is the distibitor would no longer be used, and weather the cam sensor can be made to work.
If I use a SPI, I will be using a SPI intake manifold for sure.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Why doesn't someone talk to the guys @ EFP since they specialize in the SPI?

·
Premium Member
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Skuce said:
Why doesn't someone talk to the guys @ EFP since they specialize in the SPI?
Another person that would know would be Geoffery Knights, the guy that makes turbo and superchargers for the lx.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Jeff - I am not sure on this but if the valves diameter is such that it overlaps the 1.9s piston top cut-away by just a little, it may hit. I am not sure how close those come but if there is only millimeters of tolerance I think you will run a risk of hitting because the valves are canted a little. BTW I got the injectors and found my exhaust manifold for my turbo, so close...

Matthew

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
the info EFP has on teh CVH engines is stuff anybody can find out. theyre head porting service is also, nothing extraordinaily special. its not going to do muchgood to ask them, firstly because they will have nothing to go off of other than teh head specs, which is what we all have, and secondly, because they haventy even tried this, no one has.

·
Premium Member
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I forgot about the eye brouws in the pistons only being as big as the dia as the valve, but i read about this on the old board (I cant find it) who ever wrote about made it sound like there would be tons of extra room with a 2.0 head on a 1.9.
I dont think EFP would really know much about head swapping or for that matter motor swapping.
I think I'll try to Email knights turbo.

·
Registered
111 Posts
well ill tell ya what, ive got the 2.0l and several 1.9l's when i blow my 1.9l (lol i hope will b soon) ill jerk the 1.9l and 2.0l apart and see what i come up with!! ill keep u all updated!

·
Premium Member
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wickedwagon2 said:
well ill tell ya what, ive got the 2.0l and several 1.9l's when i blow my 1.9l (lol i hope will b soon) ill jerk the 1.9l and 2.0l apart and see what i come up with!! ill keep u all updated!
Great Thanks!
Knights Turbo's wab page was down so I could'nt email him.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
The thing I do see as a problem is the size of the dished portion of the 1.9l piston.
It's designed to fit the diameter of the 1.9l Valves so with the larger dia. 2.0l valves...the outer edge of the valve could possible hit.

Anyone have pics of a 2.0l piston?

·
Premium Member
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is what Geoff Knight said:
I dont know enough about the piston clearance to say. I would build a spare 2.0 shortblock with forged pistons and better rod bolts. The stock rods are very strong.

THOMAS (GEOFF) KNIGHT
THOMAS KNIGHT TURBOS
22050 SW 155 AVE
MIAMI, FL 33170
786-243-2000
BOOSTHEAD.COM

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well I was thinking of doing the same thing. Then I seen this. I have know idea if they will swop. I got out my Hayens Repair Manual. I have a few numbers that might help some one that knows more about this then I do. There is 0.11" differnce in the cylinder bore. To much to bore over. I think. So useing the 2.0 pistons would be out of the question. But that would go aganst what you are trying to do. Any way here is what I have. Hope that some comes up with some thing.

1.9L engine
-valve bore
-intake=1.572"-1.573"
-exhaust=1.375"-1.376"
-cylinder bore=3.23"

2.0L engine
-valve bore
-intake=na
-exhaust=na
-cylinder bore=3.34"[/u][/b]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts