FEOA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buying an 83 L soon and the windshield is cracked. Can I get one from safelite or do I need to go junkyard hunting?

·
Super Moderator
10,287 Posts
Call safelite. Even if you could find one in a junkyard, it would be hard to remove (the old sealant being hardened). The last two times I wanted a cheap windshield, the junkyards would sell it me for $50 upfront - with me removing it. But if I cracked it, I didnt get my money back. After the second time I tried this, I just called the local 'new glass' company; which in our area was five-star glass co.
On a 2nd gen you have to remove the wiper arms (which I use a puller to extract), and the cowling at the base of the windshield.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I was just unsure if safelite produces them or not. Was hoping it wouldn't cost a fortune!

·
Registered
232 Posts
You can have new ones made for $150, they're awfully hard to remove because they're secured with liquid sealant and at the factory most windows are pressed down too hard on the opening making it impossible to fit a removal tool between the glass and the frame :/ So I never bother with salvaging windows from other cars and I have pros install them so then if it's cracked upon installation they have to replace for free haha

Check out these videos some time, they cover most of the glass aspects of our cars, yes they're for EXPs so the parts are shaped differently but the processes & concepts are identical.
Ford EXP / Mercury LN7 Window Care/Service - YouTube

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$150 isn't bad at all, I can love with that all day long! Thanks everyone for the info I'll be sure to watch the videos too. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,287 Posts
THe price for the glass may be higher, due to lower rates of replscement. I know the rear glass for one of the family cars was over $300, while the windshield was about $180. If the gass company cant get a new glass from whoever the wholesaler is, you may not be able to get a windshield. In that case I would just try calling more glass places, to see if one of them has a windshield in their dusty inventory.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts