FEOA Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
ok, i'm going to remove my back windows and seal the hell out of them. THANKS!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
ok, i got it done now i just wait for rain. it's a PITA job because those panels covering the bolts don't like to go back together. You have to wrestle with them and curse a lot. also, note that you have to pry the rubber outside seal and the window out as a unit and do it from the back to the front because there's a small metal pin at the top that fits into the weather stripping that goes above the roll-down side windows. when reinstalling put that pin in first then install in reverse order. also note that they don't come out very easily. i had to pry them with a screwdriver and use some cardboard to protect the paint. start from the rear then pry gently but firmly all the way to the front and you'll feel it come loose... i didn't have any rope seal so i used some thin insulating foam with a sticky back and then sprayed it with rubber sealer that i got at Walmart for another job long ago. i've even used it on my palm tree to cover an injury. the stuff is great. on my passenger side window i noticed that the factory rope seal was overlapped creating an area when water could enter. bastards... i cut it flush then put my foam tape over it then sprayed it with my liquid rubber coating. if it still leaks i'm going to shoot it.
20201220_160059.jpg

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Why don't you just have a friend spray the car with a hose while you stay inside and look for the leak? Also, why not just use window weld on the back windows? Insulating foam is going to leak, even caulk would have been better.

Reactions: Jonilicious

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Why don't you just have a friend spray the car with a hose while you stay inside and look for the leak? Also, why not just use window weld on the back windows? Insulating foam is going to leak, even caulk would have been better.
never heard about window weld. i sprayed the thing with liquid rubber too..... i've been on my back with a flashlight looking for leaks many times.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
It's the stuff that they use to install windshields. You can get it at most auto parts stores. Make sure that you wear gloves and don't get it on anything cloths that you care about because it will NEVER come off. You can also probably get the rope seal stuff from an autobody supply store.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
It's the stuff that they use to install windshields. .
ok, thanks..... the right side is the side that is a mystery. it's dripping from the truck lid bolts but it's not coming from the hing seal. i sealed that up more times than i can count and then i poured paint over it and there 's no way that it's leaking now. i'm considering removing the back window because that's the only thing i haven't done. what's the process for that? THANKS

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
For the rear window, I would just have an auto glass company remove the window and reseal it. Typically they are held in like a windshield and if you don't have the right tools or experience you can break the glass and/or damage the paint and body around the window. It's more trouble than it's worth for a DIY job.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's the stuff that they use to install windshields. You can get it at most auto parts stores. Make sure that you wear gloves and don't get it on anything cloths that you care about because it will NEVER come off. You can also probably get the rope seal stuff from an autobody supply store.
Since I've got the same issue with my '98 ZX2 I found this thread helpful. Thanks guys! Want to point out that Primer is recommended with Window Weld per Amazon. Sure would hate to miss that step and find more leaks later on.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts