FEOA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello there i have a 1998 zx2 auto zetec 2.0l dohc that ive had for 3 months. the car runs and idles great but there is a few issues and theres no cel.

the car has new fuel filter,new plug wires,cleaned iac valve,cleaned maf (only the plug not the maf sensor itself) and random sensor connections cleaned,fuel injection cleaner,oil change. i have looked and looked for vacuum leaks and did fix some hoses under throttle body and all pcv hoses look good from what i can see. i do not know fuel pressure or vacuum readings of car.

1.stalling. car stalls in D when u come to a complete stop QUICKLY (if u dont stop very quickly it wont stall although sometimes it sounds and feels like it might stall but doesnt) the stalling occurs when u have to stop very quickly. the car will not stall if i put the tranny in N only in D. also the car has stalled while idling in parking lot only a couple times. i cleaned the iac with throttle body cleaner and noticed the iac was all 1 piece (cant take it apart?), it was pretty dirty and i used a pair of needle nose to try and move the pintle inside didnt seem to move up and down? is that a problem idk. i can and have drivin this car at 80mph for couple hours and ran like a dream im kinda lost. i also topped off tranny fluid and it seemed to help the stalling at first i feel like.

2. i picked up an upstream o2 sensor. i tried removing the exhaust manifold heat shield and couldnt get it out to get access to the o2 sensor. do i have to remove radiator and exhaust manifold to replace? even with a o2 sensor socket it looks very tough i dont know.

3. can you clean throttles bodies on this car, i think i seen a sticker that sais do not clean throttle body?

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
#1 - Check your belt tensioner, power steering pump or A/C pump clutch. When these start to go bad they put drag on the accessory driveline which puts drag on the crankpulley. At power it's fine but the moment you stop quickly it will die from the drag. Just a theory.

#2 - It's been awhile since I've seen the stock exhaust setup but IIRC the shield is held on with two 10mm nuts. It's tight but I think I took them off with the help of a swivel.

#3 - Yes, you can clean the TB.

John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply i cleaned throttle body and maf runs really good still stalls kinda when stopping very very quickly...ill check out some pulleys and belt pick up a new iac and go from there

·
Super Moderator
6,050 Posts
Did you check the back side of the PCV hose where it connects to the intake manifold? Sometimes the elbow there leaks or even falls off

Reactions: 4cylinder
1 - 4 of 4 Posts