FEOA Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. First let me say thank you in advance for any help or replies. This problem has me puzzled and I can use all the help I can get.

Car sat for 2yrs. Ran twice maybe in between that time for only a few blocks at most.

Did basic tune-up to get it going. Replaced battery as it had died completely due to my key being stuck in the ignition and me not taking out the fuse until it was too late. Replaced spark plugs (cap and wires), replaced air filter, gas filter, transmission fluid, engine fluid, radiator fluid and added injection cleaners and transmission slip-stop fluid, fan belt, and timing belt.

When I start the car it starts up relitively quick (not immediately but after 2 clicks). If I let the car idle for about 2-3 minutes it will drop idle and start to sputter until it stalls completely. I can start it up no problems and it will do the same unless i give it just a slight tap on the pedel. When the car is in motion it will run fine. Has good speed/pickup. When I get to a red light it's 50/50. Sometimes it will idle fine until the light changes green and I go..(though sometimes when I give it gas to start going it will act like it will stall for a split second until it gets some power)...and I can drive like normal and sometimes at a red light it will start to sputter and I either throw it in neutral and hold the break or put it in park and tap the pedel until it's time to go again.

I've had a friend run a diagnostic and he corrected a few things (my throttle speed being to high/low or rich) and he said the Catalytic Converter was giving an error he hadn't seen before. These things have apparently been known to get clogged or 'restricted' and simply cleaning them sometimes solves this problem. I've also read that a clogged or restricted EGR Valve/screen might also be the culprit. Another friend suggested I check the MAP sensor and the Throttle Position Sensor.

I plan on opening up the EGR Valve in the morning after I buy a replacement EGR Valve Gasket in case I accidently break it. I will update this post on wheather or not this solves my problem. In the meantime thanks for any help again.

Also...since I've seen this asked on here.. Yes my SERVICE ENGINE SOON light is on. And there is no RPM meter on the car so I can't see a needle bounce back and forth...just a speedometer.

If anyone needs help with PC problems...I'm your man! lol No MACS sorry. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks FM59. I will do that. Autozone has been my life line these past few weeks. They're great! Was thinking of just replacing the TPS anyway to see if that works. Eventually i'm going to swap out the entire engine for a 5-speed manual. Gonna be my 'Project' car. See how nice I can fix 'er up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE!

Ok, So I cleaned out the EGR valve and replaced the MELTED Gasket that was on there. Car seems to have picked up power in the lower gears AND no more rough idle or jerky starts from a red light.....so far....however I still think I have a restricted Cat Con just because the Diagnostic showed it was failing or giving errors. I'm planning on replacing the TPS as well soon. Last but not least, I will probably have to replace the CAT since It is ILLEGAL to try to Unclog them. Sigh.....more money.... Thanks for all the help......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE: IF ANYONE IS ACTUALLY READING THIS.

FOR ME: MY PARTICULAR SITUATION IT IS MY CATALYTIC CONVERTER.

Just like the Diagnostic said. It is clogged and running hot! So...my car's rough idle, jerky acceleration from stops and sluggish performance on hills, it is my CAT. Going to be replacing this in a week or two and all SHOULD be well. I'll update this post.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.