FEOA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed the filter and most of the fluid/cleaned pan etc.
It shifts fine but is it ok to drive it in OD in the city? The older ford trans (aod) would die if it would switch to OD too much.
At what speed do the converters lock up?
Should anything else be done to help prevent future problems?

· Registered
6,057 Posts
OD is fine to use in city driving but when it locks and unlocks, it can wear out the torque converter. i got annoyed with it so i'm using a toggle switch to keep it unlocked when i'm doin below 45 mph cuz in tacoma, the streets have a lot of hills so that would make it bounce around like that. u can get a transgo valve body kit which will change the shift points, give u better clutch packs that will hold power such as using a turbo, and it keeps the torque converter locked till it downshifts into 2nd gear which will give u more MPG and increases the life of ur transmission and torque converter. it's only $45. u can also use a transmission cooler because heat will take power away from the tranny, u loose some gas milage, and if it get's too hot will destroy ur tranny. the tranny cooler is on'y $20 at schucks.

i think all of that is cheaper than doin a manual swap and gettin the clutch plates and flywheel upgraded.

· Registered
15,186 Posts
I typically do not use OD in traffic, because supposedly these transmissions often fail because of excessive shifting from 3-4. I don't think it's a torque converter issue, it's a band issue and a heat issue. It's probably perfectly fine to keep it on OD in surburban driving, expically in the winter. At stop signs or traffic lights I will often shift it onto D if I know I am going to turning or stopping or otherwise slowing down again soon to avoid an unnecessary upshift.

· Registered
6,057 Posts
zzyzzx, i think it's weird that urs will bounce between 3rd and 4th. mine bounces between 4th and OD which is y i'm using a toggle switch.

magwheels, u can get what i suggested if u want to keep the current tranny from havin future problems. if u need the link for the valve body kit, i or zzyzzx can send it to u. i noticed we didn't answer ur last question so here it is. the torque converter is supposed to lock around 40mph.

· Registered
6,057 Posts
that's what mine does

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.