FEOA Forums banner

1994 Mercury Tracer 1.9 Wagon Auto, problem with rear wiper running all the time.

656 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Joey_Twowagons 
#1 ·
1994 Mercury Tracer 1.9 Wagon with auto transmission. 87,000 original miles.

Rear wiper runs in off position on dash board selector. Even with the knob in off position, the rear wiper just runs...it didn't used to do that. Removed 10 Amp "Rear Wiper" fuse to temporarily fix the problem, but now A/C does not come on. The A/C does come when the fuse is in. Any information would appreciated. Thanks!

#2 ·
The wiring going from the body through the hatch has broken and two wires are touching together causing your issue.
My solution was to go to the junkyard and get a 2 foot section of the hatch wiring from inside the car, cut the bad section out of your car at the accordion looking piece and use the junkyard wiring to go through and splice it back together. Hopefully all the colors should be the same which will help so you don't match up the wrong wires.

#5 ·
1994 Mercury Tracer 1.9 Wagon with a

The wiring going from the body through the hatch has broken and two wires are touching together causing your issue.

My solution was to go to the junkyard and get a 2 foot section of the hatch wiring from inside the car, cut the bad section out of your car at the accordion looking piece and use the junkyard wiring to go through and splice it back together. Hopefully all the colors should be the same which will help so you don't match up the wrong wires.

Yes, thanks to all who replied...hopefully I can get to work on it this weekend!

Rear wiper runs in off position on dash board selector. Even with the knob in off position, the rear wiper just runs...it didn't used to do that. Removed 10 Amp "Rear Wiper" fuse to temporarily fix the problem, but now A/C does not come on. The A/C does come when the fuse is in. Any information would appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.