FEOA Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Chances are that the plastic shroud is rubbing against the wheel. It's pretty common, actually. Sillicone spray fixes it.

If that isn't it, it's probably the PS pump. Probably. If you can describe the problem better (noises, etc), then I can help you morer gooderly.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Um... not really. You may be able to mofidy the output of the PS pump. I've never tried.

You could lower the ratio of the rack.

But if you're talking about a built-in way to adjust the steering, then no.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having my car towed today because my 94 LX steering wheel suddenly stopped responding on the way in to work (luckily, about 30 seconds from work). Worst parking job of my life. I'm almost at 200000km (not sure what in miles).

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Ok so you were moving when it stopped. Power Steering pump all the way.

I was just going to be an ass and say you need to turn the car on before you start trying to turn the wheel. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
LOL The battery light came on, too. I'm having the car towed later this aft (I mean, I was at work already, may as well get my hours in). I did call the mechanic and he suspects a belt has broken. Grrrrr.... I love my car and have to argue w/my husband on why I don't need a newer one. It would help if it didn't act up two days after I got the brakes redone.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Was just gonna say. Dead battery, dead power steering -- the drive belt broke. I don't know what else is on that belt too, but I suspect your AC is gone now too and your car will tend to overheat (the water pump is probably on the belt too).

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
having just gone through this problem last week I can tell you that it is most likely the belts to your alternator and p/s. There are two belts, one is the power steering/AC belt amd the other is the alternator/Water pump belt. if the battery light came on it is a good idea to quickly fix the problem as your engine has no new coolant being supplied and will easily overheat on a drive. it is actually really easy to do at home. If your you or husband don't mind working on the car. I just went to a local parts store and bought the belts then put them in. worked perfectly.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
True, thanks for reminding me Matt, but either way it is a really easy job to do, just took two hours and a set of wrenches to replace.

·
Registered
4 Posts
'Twas the belt and to save time (if not money) the garage replaced it. $85 Canadian, including labour, which was much less than I expected!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts