FEOA Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying this again since my first try at a post seems to have disappeared into Never Never Land.

I have a 1992 four door Excort 1.9L which will start but has intermittent problems as follows:

1 - Upon starting and warmup, the car will not have enough power to go anywhere either in forward or reverse.

2 - If there is enough power to move the car it will run fine until you pull up to a stop light or stop sigh. Then it will stall or stop completely. If I manage to get it going then it will gradually pick up speed. At this point though it seems like it isn't downshifting into first gear. It will go really slow until finally it picks up power.

3 - Sometimes when going up a hill it will also try to stall but even if it doesn't stall it will lose power and slow down.

I have done lots of stuff to try to find out what is happening. Put on the computer it reports only error code 173. I had a mechanic check fuel pressure, pump. etc, electrical, exhaust, all kinds of sensors.

I'm baffled. Anybody out here on the forum got ideas what the problem might be.

Please advies.

·
Registered
22 Posts
re:

when i got my 94 it did almost the same as ur describing, but not as bad.. i replaced the plugs and wires, it seemed to help..i had to bassically floor the car to get it to move..now i dont..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: re:

zx2fast2furious said:
when i got my 94 it did almost the same as ur describing, but not as bad.. i replaced the plugs and wires, it seemed to help..i had to bassically floor the car to get it to move..now i dont..
I changed the wires and plugs and lots of other stuff, various sensors, clean gas, additives to remove water, I am stumped.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts