Hi,

I recently purchased a 91 GT to be my 'practical' car while I
fiddle with my 240Z. ;-)

Forgive me if some of the questions are dumb, I'm much more
familiar with older cars.

Is there any sort of electronic ignition available for this car, like
the Crane ignition often seen in old Z cars? I'm assuming that
people put hot coils, new ignitions, etc in EGTs? I have done
some web searches, but not found anything detailed.

Thanks,
-kal

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
whats crane ignition?

You can install MSD. I know that Jason Blade did that, and I would too if I had the money. You can also upgrade your coil if you wish to something like an MSD blaster coil, and of course you can adjust timing with the dist (just like ol' times, buddday!)

lol

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Sure you can use any coil &/or electronic ignition control made for a 4cylinder w/ a distributor.

I happen to like Jacobs. I have a friend who has run several of their systems (not on a scort) with success. Crane & MSD I have no experience with, but I've heard that MSD is the lower quality of the 3... of course, I also just recieved my MSD coil pack for my 1.9L (factory distributorless) and am pleasantly suprised by the quality of the materials used, so maybe I heard wrong. If Crane has worked for you in the past.. sounds like the way to go.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
honestly there isn't any real need to upgrade the ignition on a stock EGT. If you go turbo or N/A buildup I'd upgrade it. I'd also go ahead and upgrade if you are having trouble with the ignition.... why buy a crappy old part when a upgrade exists. If it is working fine I'd leave it alone and save for the turbo :)

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
while we are on ignition topic:
I just pulled my plugs, valve cover, etc last night, and when I pulled the plugs i noticed that they were kinda whitish... usually a sign that you are running hot, and hot is usually a sign that you're running lean.

Well I've got the RX-7 VAF and I was wondering if the plugs on GT's were whitish just because it's a jap. engine that runs hotter or if I'm maybe running lean. Even if I am running lean, my fuel economy isn't stupendous at about 33mpg highway (at 80mph or so).

Also, what should sparkplug gap be with the stock ignition system? I've got about 0.40 gap when I used a feeler gauge.

·
Registered
171 Posts
:) Siragan: you may need a hotter plug still, give me more info on the plug condition- white and chalky- what else? what does the (center) electrode look like? your using the IGN. advance right. :book:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips guys - I guess I'll stick with the current ignition
setup until something breaks. ;-)

My next thoughts relate to putting bigger discs & calipers on the
car. My rotors need to be turned, so I was thinking about just
replacing... I'll go post in the correct forum.

-kal

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.